Alloy and Type Profile

After excessive driving in the area of mine plague with excessive speed bumps, i've noticed a scraping sound when i turn my wheel full lock when reversing into parking bays or around corners.... :( a simple inspection has lead me to believe that the tyres of my wheels are scraping the hell out of my wheel arches and even to the point where it has gone thru the plastic arch covering into the metal :( I was told my wheels are 17 inches but the tyres that was fitted on the alloys are the wrong profile. Now i'm assuming the profile is the height of the types from the alloys. Can anyone advise me what profile i need for 17' alloys? And perhaps who knows where i can get a set of alloys and tyres as the alloys got severely mashed up by the previous owner whom sold me the car with the alloys :( Ohh maybe also maybe suggestions of exhausts as my one has a crack between the pipe leading into the box? Thanks in advance, i'll take some snap shots and upload tomorrow :D

A bit more info. would be useful, Razor. Can you remove one of the Wheels to check on the inside for the Rim width?. It should read something like 7J, 7.5J or 8J.

If it's 7J, you can fit 205 or 215 with a 45 profile, 7.5 or 8J and you'll need to go to 215/45/17. Please AVOID budget tyres.

As for your Rim search, look for a PCD of 5 x 100, a 7J width, with an ET/Offset of 35 to 39.

HTH :)

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry for the late replies guys, after a week and a bit of refunding a HCSD card reader, which the seller didn't know the differ, was headache inducing. Anyway... The alloys+tyres came with the purchase of the car. After an detailed inspection by a friend who does car servicing, he noticed the tyres are the wrong profile for my car, especially with the increased inch from 16 default, to custom 17 inches :S

Here are some pics of the tyres. With the sigificant bashing from the previous owner.... the alloy definately needs replacing. Any advice on alloys and tyres? I have around £500-£600 budget. What is the normal profile i need for my celica? as well as tyre pressure :P

Profile you have 2 choices:

205/45/17

215/40/17

Both of these have near enough the same rolling radius as standard so the speedo won't be affected much.

Pressure wise, I dunno if it's right but I use 32 PSI

Liam, I'd like to politely request you do a little more research on suitable Gen 7 tyre profiles.

205/45/17 is the OE size as fitted by Toyota to all 17" Rims, but being the rarest size..tend to be the most expensive of the three.

215/45/17 has a slightly larger rolling radius than 205/45 and will offer a little more ride comfort and Rim protection at the expense of acceleration (but hardly noticeable).

215/40/17 will give the best acceleration of the three, but the least ride comfort and fuel consumption due to the smaller rolling radius over 205/45.

After trying all three sizes on my 140, I'm currently running 215/40 front, 215/45 rear on 7J Rims.

Thanks for the information guys, it was really helpful!

Now i need to hunt for a good deal on alloys and tyres! 4 tyres cost around 400 so i might as well splash out on new alloys since one of them has a hairline crack :S

I'm quite shocked that it past it's MOT, after 2 tyre change due to worn treads on the old tyres... dodgy dealing i smell!

Thanks for the information guys, it was really helpful!

Now i need to hunt for a good deal on alloys and tyres! 4 tyres cost around 400

Camskill are offering the Falken ZE912 in 205/45/17 at £63 a corner, so that would come to around £300 once you've paid to have them fitted. The Ziex also has the same 88W rating as the Pirelli tyres that were fitted as OE on the Gen 7. As the 912 is not a directional tread pattern, they can be swopped from side to side to even out tyre wear.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.