importing from Japan

Hia

I've long been looking at importing something from Japan, Beams is the goal...seen quite a few with FOB prices in the region of £2k for what look like A1 condition examples.

I realise that once the cars on the road over here, you're likely to of spent around another £2k in shipping/VAT/and-all-that-other-shit.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually gone through the process...I'm not looking for "don't bother wait till ones for sale here" replies, as that's not gonna help. Was there any particularly nasty things that happened anywhere down the line? Or the polar...was it easy? Does anyone have a particular auction/sale site/dealer in Japan they'd highly recommend?

I want to cut out the middle man as they make a fucking fortune on top of what it costs to get something over here.

Cheers for any info :)

Japanese Used car Auctions

Friend of mine who trolls on Driftworks linked me this with some cool cars, they have a trader link on there.

So my advice would be speak to the blokes on Driftworks as there actual importers from Japan on there. AFAIk the Yen is a bit wobbly at the moment, ive just bought an exhaust from Japan and it was quite a difference in price depending on exchange rate fluctuations

Having not done the car importing myself, but only considered it, thats the best advice i can give.

Oh, maybe give an importing company in the UK a call, you'll get the spiel of Yen is crap blah blah but ask the questions you need answered and im sure they'd be happy to help if they're nice

I've imported about 5 or 6 GT4s. Take the FOB price and add about 50% to it to get the price off the boat here. So that 2K will be 3K before MOT etc. However - cars from Japan are generally kept in good nick compared to a similar aged car from the UK.

Personally I wouldn't do it right now as the exchange rate is so poor, but if you have your heart set on a good car, go for it! :thumbs:

Just a heads up. Unless you actually have someone with good mechanical knowledge to check the car over, A1 can just be a scrapped car restored to standard and blown over.

This is what worries me a tad. Photos never EVER do a car it's real justice...good or bad. Hence me asking for a good contact if anyone has one :)

I've imported about 5 or 6 GT4s. Take the FOB price and add about 50% to it to get the price off the boat here. So that 2K will be 3K before MOT etc. However - cars from Japan are generally kept in good nick compared to a similar aged car from the UK.

Personally I wouldn't do it right now as the exchange rate is so poor, but if you have your heart set on a good car, go for it! :thumbs:

Yeah I'm gonna wait it out a bit, although (bare in mind I'm clueless about this) I'd of thought, without wanting to seem like I'm taking advantage...it's just a coincidence, that the current bad luck Japan is having would of made everything extremely cheap to us if we were to import stuff?

`aint gunna bore you with the details fella except to say there was once a time you could buy at the right price and bring here , these days are over

however what is the point in posting if i cant be a helpfull bugger aye

ireland or being more accurate eire , a car imported to here suffers tax except at a low rate that UK.PLC ( the robbing bastards ) so if you really wanted to do it then you would be wise to find a car from there , bring it here endure the bullshit of reg and a bit of tax and viola 1 beams for you with a great spec , doing this you dont endure the grand container rate , you will have a beams for between 2-3 grand for a very nice car , also you get to view it yourself as you can fly over and drive it back , there is a bit of paperwork but nothing as bad as from japan itself

True...it's just so fucking few and far between that they seem to come up for sale...unless I'm missing out on some super Irish website?! I've calculated I can get one over from the big Nippon..all papers done..MOT done..fog fitted...for about £4k and that's with about 50 to 75k miles on the clock. Or you could just fix your beams up and sell it to me? Deal? Deal.

Edited by hypercatjohn

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.