brake bleed srew argument

im trying to find a bleed nipple which is m7x1.00, 33mm long

i phoned a number of companies and they said length dont matter? i think it does thats why i havnt got 1 yet. i always thought the point (seat) on the nipple seals against the bottom of the caliper hole therefore seals the hole on the side. if length dont matter what happens if its too short? a bit like a sh**ging really come to think about it. if its too short it wont sit at the bottom. if its too long it should be ok. i was always led to believe the seat seals the threads dont. any thoughts.

Seat doesn't provide the seal, the threads do. You lock them with a compound or ptfe tape. :)

All four of my bleed nipples on my Wilwood 4 pots have the seat protruding about 1mm and can see the red around the thread where excess compound is.

HTH :thumbs:

ill be happy to be wrong about this

http://www.nobody.org.uk/temp/acc_rear_brake_bleed_screw_new_vs_old.jpg

acc_rear_brake_bleed_screw_new_vs_old.jpg

the taper to the end has a seat it matches to , the thread just holds the beastie in place , on slacking off the fluid pushes past the seal and into the hole and out the top , the thread cant seal at all as well its a thread and thread such as this has a massive area so its not possible to seal

Edited by izzzzythedog

Seat doesn't provide the seal, the threads do. You lock them with a compound or ptfe tape. :)

All four of my bleed nipples on my Wilwood 4 pots have the seat protruding about 1mm and can see the red around the thread where excess compound is.

HTH :thumbs:

Nairnman means the seat at the end of the nipple, not the one where the Hex section is

Another common misconception is that PTFE tape creates a seal, it does not, it only allows you to tighten the fitting tighter to create a better seal by reducing the friction on the threads, the tape does not create the seal wink.gif

As said, as long as they aren't too short the length doesn't really matter

I think VW nipples fit as that is what i have fitted to my rear calipers

To be honest in all my years I have never come across a bleed nipple that is to short, as long as the thread is the same it will seal providing the mating tapers are in good condition.

You can get some nipples with a plastic coating on the threads this is to top both fluid seeping up or air being drawn down past the threads when bleeding. How many times have you or have you seen people bleeding brakes and have a constant stream of bubble coming up the bleed tube? This isn’t necessary air in the system but air being drawn in past the treads, normally caused by undoing the bleed nipple too much. Dorris

sort of on topic how are people bleeding there brakes , ive an easybleed and the bloody caps dont fit , are people using a kit or the old school shouting at your kids to pump and hold

I use a little plastic one-way valve costing ~£1.50 from an aquarium shop which then means it's just a one man job. I agree the real seal is on the tapered seat. The major benefit of PTFE tape on the threads of a brake nipple is that it stops them rusting solid.

sort of on topic how are people bleeding there brakes , ive an easybleed and the bloody caps dont fit , are people using a kit or the old school shouting at your kids to pump and hold

You need to buy an adaptor to mount an easybleed to the none screw caps we have on our Celicas

The way i do it is with a home made bleed bottle and a length of wood to keep the pedal pressed down tongue.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.