Respraying car to freshen it up...

Since my celica has a nice graze down the side of it from a reversing car which drove off, the door needs respraying/repairing.

The wifes dad is amazing at cars, including spraying. He has mentioned respraying the car chilli red to freshen it up.

Just a thought, what would happen if you added metallic flakes to the paint? Would it work? Thinking of putting red metallic flakes in there, or would any other colour look good?

you put the flakes in the clear coat m8 and make sure you measure the amount for each paint cup and have the right size needle on the hvlp spraygun thats big enough to let flakes through but not too much. i cant remember what size. i resprayed my car using 1.4 mm needle.

your car will have a clear coat has it will be 2 pack paint. if it didnt it would look like matt paint. if you want sparkle in your base coat then get a completely different colour ie.. from another paint code. theres loads out there but i would go with a blue pearl over a candy red base coat. why not even try flip paint but a lot more expensive and more difficult to lay down. or just go with your cars original paint code it would lok new but original?

your car will have a clear coat has it will be 2 pack paint. if it didnt it would look like matt paint. if you want sparkle in your base coat then get a completely different colour ie.. from another paint code. theres loads out there but i would go with a blue pearl over a candy red base coat. why not even try flip paint but a lot more expensive and more difficult to lay down. or just go with your cars original paint code it would lok new but original?

His will be a solid colour, in that the shine is in the colour, manufacturers rarely clear coat flat colours like red and white its only realy metalics/pearls etc that get the clear coat.

you can do clear over base on red like I did on my last celica, gives a much deeper glossier shine and protects against fading. ;)

A full colour change is a feckin huge job and not done properly will look shite, unless your happy with red in the engine bay and on the backs of doors etc.

I would go for a red base with a tame pearl in the clear coat. B) subtle but in the right light and right angles would look mint, but as I already said, It has to be done to a very high quality to look good.

Daz

shiney.bmp

clear over base Shiny B)

Edited by dazzy

His will be a solid colour, in that the shine is in the colour, manufacturers rarely clear coat flat colours like red and white its only realy metalics/pearls etc that get the clear coat.

you can do clear over base on red like I did on my last celica, gives a much deeper glossier shine and protects against fading. ;)

A full colour change is a feckin huge job and not done properly will look shite, unless your happy with red in the engine bay and on the backs of doors etc.

I would go for a red base with a tame pearl in the clear coat. B) subtle but in the right light and right angles would look mint, but as I already said, It has to be done to a very high quality to look good.

Daz

your wrong m8. i cant see is celica being sprayed in cellulose paint and 2 pack needs laquer (clear coat) for protection from stone chips, scratches, etc... not to mention the shine.

basically a base coat is made of a colour coat pigments, mettalic pigments or pearl-effect pigment then a bonding agent is added then the solvent to make it liquid. if cars rolled out of the factory without protection then you would be fetching your car back within a week ownership due to oxidisation and chips. you would be investing in shares with t-cut. like you said you can paint a car with just basecoat but it wouldnt last. cellulose is different though as you have cut & compund the paint then every 5/6 weeks wax it or it will dull but not having to worry about the clear coat.

I put flake in mine it does look good when its not too bright but in the sun its a bit too much, its quite difficult to get it right - so well worth practicing on a few old panels first. I wouldn't do it again and if my car wasnt hitting space ship mileage I would probably nitromours the whole car and do it without it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.