Wheels & tyres

Ok I have 2 sets of rims, both are 17" 7J ET35. I'm also running 27mm spacers. Now on both sets I have 215/45/17's.

Last night I used the car on my new rims (running BF Goodrich - came on the rims) but I've checked this morning & the rear wheels have been rubbing. The thing is though, my previous rims (running Falken 452's) didn't rub despite being on the 27mm spacers.

Anybody with any ideas as to why?

profile of the tyres ? you sure there both 7j ?

Both profiles are 45. I even checked the new rims yesterday to confirm the size.

The problem now is, that the new rims are to be my normal driving rims.

the 45 is the hight of the tyre as you look at it from the side of the wheel

im thinking the width of the tyre , it your running say 215 they can be streched happly onto a 7.5 wheel bt will sit taller on a 7 incher , same tyres but the profile being altered

doh :doh: i dint read it at first!

right what load rating are the tyres?

as one could have thicker shoulders IE rim protectors

Actually I have 1 Avon & 3 BF Goodrich. The Goodrich are 91W's & the Avon is an 87Y. My Falkens are all 87Y's, but its the Avon that is rubbing the most.

is it more the sidewall or the shoulder that's rubbing???

strange that as with them being a higher load rating i would have thought they would be more likely to rub rather than the avon which will have more flex.

could just be that the better quality tyres the avon and goodridge have thicker sidewalls?

I've not used a tape measure as I haven't had chance, plus I don't feel great (excuses, excuses :lol: ). Anyway the tyres are wided as when I compare the look of the car now to pics of the car with the old rims, they do look a little wider, with the Avon being wider than the BF Goodrich. This is is also backed up by the rub marks being futher up the tyre.

I have an idea though, which I think could work. I think I might be able to remove my spacers altogether, as I only needed them due to my old alloys not fitting due to the Wilwood BBK. As my new rims are of a different design, I'm fairly confident that the spokes shouldn't catch when fully bolted on. If they do, then its old wheels back on until I can buy 8 Falken 452 tyres as I know they fit (my spare rims are now my track rims & the 452's did fine for me on the track). It's that or get the arches rolled, but the Avon is still a little too wide!

Thanks for all the help though guys. Just one of those unexpected but annoying things!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.