Update to MOT regulations.

Bit of information about what the MOT test has install in the future, not come into force yet but by 2012, so time to check you ball joint dust covers !

I've taken this from another site, the guy is an mot tester....

"Last night i attended the latest round of VOSA mot seminars (2 hours of shear bordem and they charge for the tickets). Any just though i would share some of the changes that may affect some members.

Theres seems to have been some talk about about hid lights fitted to car that didnt have them origianally. At present there is nothing about them coming into test to be a testable item. They are working on it, but there seems to be some confusion as to what a hid is. As with all mot testing,you are not allowed to dismantle anything on the car, so without seeing the bulb who says its a hid. Thats their concern. Also as hids have been deemed to be benificial they don't want to ban them either, but do they need to have headlight washers and self leveling equipment on them or do they get tested purley on beam aim and pattern as any other headlight bulb would be. So hids, they are not coming into the test although they may do in future.

ABS lights have been in the mot for ages now , as of january next year engine management lights will be included in the test as will airbag light, srs lights, brake fluid level warning lights and main beem warning lights. All will now have to function correctly to get a pass. Non of these have been part of the test before.

Towbars are now included in the test but they wiring harness for them isnt, it doesnt have to function at all you dont even need one at present. From what i was told last night the old style 9 pin sockets wont ever be in the test as there is no standardised pin set up. The new canbus controlled 13 pin towbar sockets will be testable as soon as they find, test, approve and standardise a piece of equipment to test them.

Ball joint dust covers track rod end dust covers will come into test, again as of january the first next year. If they are split they are a fail. MOst of the dust covers i se are split as the joint removal tool used actually splits them. So check your dust covers, if your car is going in for any steerign or suspension work make sure your garage doesnt use the wedge shape for for splitting the joints, if they rip your dust covers from january it will cost you a new joint,unless of course someone starts to sell just the cover.

Inner c.v boots again are now testable from january next year,until now they have only been an advisary item. Battery security also comes into the test at same time, currently your battery doesnt have to be secure. Engine mounts also will be testable until january your engine can be tied in with string and your car will pass.

Manuel head light adjusters (the switch on your dash to adjust headlight aim) might come into the test an eu directive says it has to be reachable from the drivers seat. Ye silly eu again when have you ever seen one that isnt reachabel from the drivers seat??. It might not come into the test, as your all probably thinking whats the point of that in the test one will never fail on that, which is why they are thinking of not including it in the test.

Catalitic converters will now be in the test, again as of january next year. If you have removed yours it will now be a fail. Until now if your carpassed the emisions test it didnt mater if you had a cat or not.And before anyone quotes the section of the testers manuel that state reason for rejection " part of exhaust system missing" this refers to a part actually missing and not replaced with a straight piece of pipe. A cat bypass was considered replaced not missing piece.

As usual there was talk of test frequency. The idea od cars needing test on a 4 2 2 basis has been rattling around for ages now. Basicly your car,from new, wouldnt need a test for 4 years then only needed one every 2 years after that.

As i stated at the start of the post these are the items discussed at last nights mot seminar they are not my views on mot testing i dont agree with some of the stuff so dotn argue with me if you think dust covers being torn is a bad idea to fail its not my fault. I know of loads of cars with engine management lights on that run perfectly well and have do for ages, why the sudden need to fail them all on mot is beyond me."

Edited by Uncle Bob

HID's have never been part of the MOT though, but they are still illegal in the eyes of the law due to needing self levelling and washer jets, but as that guy suggested, they are not allowed to open any parts of the car up, so how do they know HID's are fitted (well apart from looking for the ballast resistors tongue.gif)

It could still be a problem if you had an accident in your car and the other driver blamed your HID's for blinding him and thus causing an accident

CAT's is another interesting one, the amount of people who do have decats will 100% need to put the CAT back for an MOT now

Good find though Bob, i'll be checking my ball joint covers next time i have the wheels off

will be buying a sports cat for mine next month anyhow, but this just confirms what i've said (and been told is bollocks by alot of people) you never actually needed a cat to ever pass a MOT, just the emissions needed to be on, oh well its now going to how everybody thought it was before hand

i know for a fact that if the ball joint cover is split its the same as a split in the cv boot. you get dust and dirt in there and they will end up all floppy. i know that all are mine are ok. never new it WASNT an mot failer so check them the same as cv boots and replace if split.

good to here about the hids though as i have just fitted some to my car. if you can tell they are hids just by looking i would be impressed. try and find the ballasts. :lol: have to move one but now i know its ok for mot it will be put up top were the abs normally would be.

thats a bitch about the engine management light though as on most new cars it comes on when you have to service it and unless you have the special tool to plug into it you cant turn it off even if you have serviced it.

as for cats does any one know if that still applies for grey imports? as the uk car never had a cat in it for the 1990 model. mine did but it got removed and is always very good on emmisions testing. most of the time on the gray import side they dont know the spec so either use the uk spec as reference or just test it will whats there (as in no cat so cant test it, dont know if it had one)???

andy

some of them are a tad pointless imo, specially the ECU warning light. our work car has that light on, we have had it fault checked and its a sensor for the heater control unit, has no affect on the safety of the car, yet that would fail the MOT, pointless :rolleyes:

HIDs on cars without self-levelling and washers are illegal. Driving an illegal car will invalidate your insurance.

End of!

Take the risk and risk the consequences.

The police and insurers have much more to worry about than 'oh, we can void te insurance because they have hids fitted' That's like them voiding it if I fit metal dust caps and don't declare that as a modification.

Yes hids are illegal on basically all cars unless fitted from the factory with them. The chances of you ever getting pulled/fined/ voided insurance? Probably less then you being ran over tomorrow.

I'm glad they aren't changing the testing rules on the. Since fitting mine about 6-7 months ago I now wonder how the hell prophesying round with those dim candle light yellow bulbs in. Hids improve safety no end. I actually hate being passenger in my girlfriends car now, I just don't feel safe with halogens in.

Edited by cs2000

The police and insurers have much more to worry about than 'oh, we can void te insurance because they have hids fitted' That's like them voiding it if I fit metal dust caps and don't declare that as a modification.

Yes hids are illegal on basically all cars unless fitted from the factory with them. The chances of you ever getting pulled/fined/ voided insurance? Probably less then you being ran over tomorrow.

That is unless any other party involved in an accident said that they were dazzled by the blinding lights from your car, then you would be in deep s**t

But like Gen6GT said, Take the risk and risk the consequences

no air bag, no warning light, you will be fine mate

That is unless any other party involved in an accident said that they were dazzled by the blinding lights from your car, then you would be in deep s**t

anyone could use the excuse you was dazzled by their lights tho, iv been blinded by peope with normal lights in where they are not set up correctly and are pointing too high, does that void your insurance too?

I like the idea of the mot test every 2nd year, which is fine for car enthusiast that look after their motors but i guess there are more car owners out there that do no maintenance or repairs and run their cars into the ground.

anyone could use the excuse you was dazzled by their lights tho, iv been blinded by peope with normal lights in where they are not set up correctly and are pointing too high, does that void your insurance too?

What i'm trying to get at, is if it went to court and you were found to have illegal headlights, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on, it is also pretty difficult to prove misaligned headlights after a crash, HID's will still be fitted to the car after the smash

That is just my opinion, but i wouldn't want to risk my insurance being invalid for any reason

no air bag, no warning light, you will be fine mate

Nothing to do with an excuse, and having badly adjusted non-HID lights does not make your car illegal. In addition adding HID's to your car is classed as a modification, which *must* be declared to your insurance company. If you don't declare modifications your insurance becomes invalid.

Here's the scenario:

Some bloke collides with you, or you run into a cyclist

Claims he was dazzled by your lights

His insurers or the Police examine your car and find illegal HIDs

Insurance declines payment, and the bloke sues you for the damage caused

And with the fact that your car is illegal and has HIDs which it shouldn't have he is going to win. Plus you're insurance is declined, you have to state that when you next try to insure your car so your premiums go through the roof.

If you are involved in an accident where there is personal injury your car *will* be closely examined.

Insurance companies are looking for any means possible not to have to shell-out

And what for? HIDs are not necessary, I can't think of any car sold in the UK in the last 20 years which have insufficient lighting if the lighting is kept in good condition. If it were the case the vehicle would not pass type approval and would not be allowed to be sold.

I can't think of any car sold in the UK in the last 20 years which have insufficient lighting if the lighting is kept in good condition. If it were the case the vehicle would not pass type approval and would not be allowed to be sold.

Gen 5 Celica, Vauxhall Nova mk2.

Still I think HIDS should be banned, the yare the most dangerous thing I come up against on other people's cars.

TBH ive only ever been blinded by hids in 2 circumstances.

1. On range rovers and the like, their headlights are WAY too high up and always shine in your eyes.

2. Cars with reflector headlights with HID's whacked in.

Modern cars with projectors that are properly aligned make no difference if you have HIDs or halogens to the oncoming motorist. Yes its illegal, technically, but so are alot of things in this country...

Are they necessary? no. Is that "upgraded" exhaust (which most likely falls fouls of noise limits) necessary, no, and thats illegal too, but nobody on here will bitch and moan about those will they.

Fact is HID's do improve safety, they arent techincally necessary and halogens do a good enough job, but i feel i can see further into the distance with HID's and mine are properly aligned so its not just that factor, its because the light is more blue on the spectrum and the human pupil doesnt contract as much when shown a blue light as it does a yellow one.

If they were that dangerous they would be against MOT laws. Yes, testers cant actually dismantle anything to see what bulbs your using, same if if you decide to use 100w halogen bulbs, which are also illegal, but turn on the lights, stick your head in front and you will see if theyre HID's or not very very easilly.

Edited by cs2000

HIDs on cars without self-levelling and washers are illegal. Driving an illegal car will invalidate your insurance.

End of!

Take the risk and risk the consequences.

But reading the OP the authorities are already starting to question their own rules - how does self levelling and washers make them anymore safer than aftermarket jobs?!? Test them on beam pattern. I mean feckin Landies HID's blind everyone yet they are legal because they can self level (not far enough) and wash themselves (what feckin difference does this make)!!!!

Why do people get so heated about HID's??? How many of us on here would like an insurance company to go over our cars with a fine tooth comb and be confident they'd be happy :rolleyes:

Yes I have HID's, yes i declare mods, no way would i be confident my insurance company would be happy unless they sent someone out every year to check my car and report back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.