Anyone ever imported wheels?

I've found the perfect wheels for my car. Only thing is I can't get them in the UK so would have to import them from the US of A who have a far, far, far superior choice of wheels. What kind of tax/custom charges am I likely to get? The wheels + postage are roughly £500 and weigh roughly 20lbs each. Might cost and weigh more if I get tyres but you get the general idea.

Thanks.

A lot!

I got my wheels after ordering from the States and having them shipped direct from Japan... Customs and shipping were expensive I think the wheels came to £1300ish and then I paid a few hundred on top of that for shipping and customs, sadly I can't find the info cos it was back in 2007.

I'd expect you'd be looking at a couple of hundred on top of that price so factor for about £700 all told.

Give these guys a ring: http://www.usautomotive.co.uk/, they may not be able to help you depending on what the wheels are as they tend to only deal with parts for US cars but they imported my Motegi wheels (the parent company of motegi produces wheels for mustangs etc) for about £400 less than the cost of buying them from the US direct, really friendly bunch too!

Why 5 months? Surely it doesn't take that long to ship over?

I'm really confused now. Is there no definite or concrete written in black and white price that I'll pay? I'm more than happy to end up paying about £200 but anymore than that is just rape. In fact that is rape! But I could end up paying loads more... :angry:

generally it goes like this

you order and pay for them

there either stuck in the postal service ( not good ) or courier ( better )

3 weeks later they drop off a ship and customs goes ``hellooooo , we gunna shag someone here``

you recieve either a crappy bit of paper through the post saying ``hi , were customs and excise , were a law unto ourselfs and knowing full well you have already paid shit loads in tax the country of origion we are still intending to fook you backwards , have a bill for 30% of the cost of the item and we will hold them toransom untill you pay , hahaha you feckin mug ``

or you recieve a letter/a million emails from dhl saying the parcels are being held to ransom so you need to pay another 30% before the bastards will release them

you pay up and then another week or even 2 they finally arrive ,,,,,,,, scratched

the 30% is an approximation , there are `handling fees`` to be included whatever the additional tax may be , its most likely they will be shipped via boat to liverpool or by air if courier depending on the amount paid in post , you can go directly to the bonded warehouse and cough up for tax and collect yourself , you would piss a day away and wouldnt save any ££ doing this but would get them quicker

if the deals really really good and you honestly cant order the wheels through wheel mania or suchlike then fair enough but its alot of ballache , can be worth it though

I'm going to Vegas in 9 weeks. You reckon I could get them sent to the hotel then fly them home as luggage? B)

believe it or not yes you can and its very very easy , the hotel will happly except them but you will need to make sure they get there when your already there , if the hotels booked then no probs , even if it isnt you can still have them sent

bad news

the carrier will fook you so hard you will feel the skin of your arse pressing against your tonsils , the cost per kiolo is a laugh a minute , a lightweight wheel is less than 9 kilo but with packaging its most likely to be about 12 , depends on the airline but you could face a royal shafting , takeing virgin its 2 bags weighing upto 23 kilo , after this its £35 per bag/parcel so your looking on £140 in excess baggage or more ! , then when you land you have to go through the red zone based on spending over the limited amount so will need to pay tax as you come through , they will require all recipts for the item and if you bullshit it saying you payed say £250 for them when they were a grand they can and will hold them to ransome asking a couple of grand in fines , did i mention law unto themselves ? its entirely down to the discresion of the miserable cantancerous wankstain whos pissed his life away watch people coming back from nice places day and feckin day , its more than likely it wont go well , if it helps and the boxies weigh less than 11.5 each then tape them together so it becomes 2 packages , as long as your under the 23 , hell if its 10 kg then tape 2 together

then you only have to fit them all into your car along with luggage

where are you stopping , who are you flying out with , im as i type trying to book flights for june but this bloody site keeps taking my interest , dam you ccuk dam you

I bought some wheels from the US last year.

Theres differnt rates of duty for different goods , import duty on wheels is 4.5% , but then there is VAT

I paid $400 for a set of 4 , and the duty was £66 pounds.

I think at the time the whole lot cost me bout £480 by time i got them home. (inc duty and shipping from US)

I could only find one one place in the UK which could supply the same wheels and they were about £650 delivered , so even with the duty and shipping from the US i saved around £170 !!

I used this duty calculator for an idea before i ordered

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

So to summarise, don't bring them back as luggage. Got ya.

I'm flying with US Airways, stopping in philadelphia on the way there and Charlotte on the way back.

its a chance thing , if they land and are heavy then you could spunk a fortune , if however there light then you could be with wheels in no time at all , i guess asking them to weigh them is about all you can do in advance

booked vegas today , im going BA as the service was shockingly good , easly the best flight ive had , £1551 for the 2 of us flight only !!!!! bugger

I bought some wheels from the US last year.

Theres differnt rates of duty for different goods , import duty on wheels is 4.5% , but then there is VAT

I paid $400 for a set of 4 , and the duty was £66 pounds.

I think at the time the whole lot cost me bout £480 by time i got them home. (inc duty and shipping from US)

I could only find one one place in the UK which could supply the same wheels and they were about £650 delivered , so even with the duty and shipping from the US i saved around £170 !!

I used this duty calculator for an idea before i ordered

http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

According to that import duty and tax comes to £116.80! Which is a bargain... Assuming I thought it would be hundreds. I've found a supplier of the wheels in the UK. They want £900 :o Obviously they import them as well and then price them up accordingly. But I put 0 insurance, as I'm not sure what the insurance is or would be? So I'm guessing that would push it up?

its a chance thing , if they land and are heavy then you could spunk a fortune , if however there light then you could be with wheels in no time at all , i guess asking them to weigh them is about all you can do in advance

booked vegas today , im going BA as the service was shockingly good , easly the best flight ive had , £1551 for the 2 of us flight only !!!!! bugger

£1551 for flights only? Is that per person? I'm going flights and hotel for £1300 for two of us, so a little over £600 per person.

My Kazeras were something like $700 purchase & shipping (back in 2006 that was just shy of £400) then iirc I had to pay around £150 to release them from the courier (customs, admin fees etc). That was from TireRack.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.