which one

ok have decided im going to get a new car this year and im sticking with the celica ,but i cant make up my mind between a gen 7 gt or gt4 i love them both but can only have one end day,bearing in mind the gt4 would be cheaper to buy but prob more money to run,if you could say which one ud go for then ill count up votes lol mite help me make a choice as its so hard,and they are 2 diffrent cars,i do alot miles tho so this has to be taken into acount

Gen6 GT4 FTW

Looks better

faster

Engine is known to be bullet proof so stronger and more reliable

To me then gen6 is still quite modern too, I don't think they are 'old cars' even though in thoery they are if that makes sense. Electric windows, central lockling, air con (some of them) ETC ETC

All depends on each indivitual and what you want in a car.

The running and maintaining costs of the GT4 are exagerated sometimes, if you look after the car and keep it serviced it will look after you for a very long time to come!!!

Fuel prices will affect both cars, obvisouly I would quess your going to use more on the GT4 but I can't imagine the Gen 7 GT been overally great on MPG.

For me its gotta be the 6 but again thats just my view.

Only you know what you want ;)

Power and performance? Gen6 GT4 all day long. Cons are that it's an older car, harder to insure, more costly to run.

Looks and economy? Gen7 GT FTW! Cons are that it's not as powerful or as easy/cheap to tune. FWD vs 4WD too.

You'll have to decide what you really want before you can move on. The criteria that are most important to you will ultimately decide your choice.

Both are great cars, and yet both have their own set of faults.

Try having a drive of each, see what you think.

i have driven both,well ive driven a 140 gen 7 but im sure they cant be much diffrence,and i had a gt4 wrc for 3 months couple years ago so i kinda know what there like as well,im just thinking cos i do about 20k miles a year,and with the gt4 being older im thinking i mite get more hassle ?

alot are modded that ive seen for sale and i guess that makes it a bit of a mine field,but guess its looking for the rite things,which i if i remember the fig 8,clutch,charge cooler,smoke out the back from turbo,anything else ive missed?

I have owned both, well kind of.

I have had 2 x gen6 GT4's ( Beasted's car used to be mine and also a black st205 I had a few years back ) and I must say that they are immense cars.

I have currently got a gen7 190 in thunder grey with an original GT kit fitted ( So in a sense a GT ;) albeit an import, however it has got the same expensive suspension as the 205 - superstrut )

Personally I love the look of the gen7, which I know a lot of people don't. But the gen6 GT4 is a fabulous looking car as well.

I am still favouring the gen7 though as I feel that it is cheaper to run and has nice looks once kitted up.

Its definately down to personal choice, but you have chosen 2 great cars there.:D

to me this is easy peasy , i figure what do i accualy want from a car ?

looks ,,,, to me the gt4 easly has it , there are nice gen 7`s but not many and serious £££

room ,,,, the 6 is like a cave , you will hate the bloody rear strut brace mind

fuel ,,,, the gen 7 easly , however is i were to go for a gt4 its a gas conversion baby , not only will it save serious £££ easly putting it into the same range as the 7 but it will add value to the car , once again a remap is in order which will pay for itself in a year , wheres the money come from ? paying £3500 for a minter , cant to that with a 7

reliability ,,,, majority of problem threads are on gen 7`s so i think its fair to say there not brill , the gt4 costs when it does go wrong , depends on the individual , to me cars do go wrong from time to time but as long as its not too offen

value for money ,,,, for the go the 6 , all gen 7`s are losing money wheres gt4 are not only holding stable , simply put you wont lose cash on it , all mods add value to it as its too old to be worrying about keeping it standard , also simply put a 4 wheel drive turbo charged sports car will always have a residual value

so to me the winner has to be a gen 6 , its tough , its very reliable , it gives someone far more than a 7 ever could , its not a `new` car but doesnt come with a `new ` price either , its not to say the 7 is a bad car , that wouldnt be fair , its just the 6 is better all round

I had a gen 7 for 3 months, hated it, just not well built and lacking in power, but it's up to you, Above all, how are you going to feel when a gt4 piss's past you when your in your pretty car? ;)

Pm me when your stripping your sexy GT :D

Edited by bigstring

see alot you guys on here that own gt4s do alot work yourself,but im no mechanic myself to be honest,servicein wouldnt be a problem,but if anything else went wrong id be a bit stuck me thinks,however it does make sence to go for a gt4 i spose

didnt you own a GT4 a year or so ago and sell it cos you disnt like the fuel costs or the amount of travelling you had to do putting strain on the engine? so on that i dont think you should get a GT4 cos i can see the future posts that come in, so id say stick with NA car

i did indeed i had a wrc one, 2 years ago,charge cooler went on it a day after i brought it lol,but my dads giving me his old astra,so i was thinking i could use that for running around in and going to work, and then the gt4 for wkends maybe,so then it wouldnt get used so much

Had both gen7 and now a gt4

for build quality the gen6 is far better IMO

can't really compare em speed wise or handling as not really fair comparing a 4wd turbo to a fed na but the gen7 is a great car dynamically and wins hands down on running costs

I think the gt4 looks far better - a subtle but aggresive and curvy shape whereas the angular lines of the 7 don't look as good

hazee is selling a stunner - worth a trip to look at his

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.