Tyre valve problem

Nemesis

Went to check the tyre pressures today as got a long run in the morning & couldnt get the metal valve covers off no matter how hard I tried & ended up loosing the seal of the valve itself so bit of a panic to get the wheels changed over to a spare set :) didnt help I had a full day which went down hill from that point on

If anyone has metal covers on their valves might be worth checking them as I assume it was the salt on the roads last month which caused the problem & better to find out now than when you need to get some air into the tyres. Good job really as when I took the old alloys off I found the tracking was a little out & the tyres on the front were nearly illegal :lol:

When I bought my old Celica, it came with metal dust caps. Looked nice, but impossible to get off. Had to get them replaces with nice plastic ones. May look shit, but I prefer inflated shitty looking tyres over nice looking ones that'll kill me.

Plastic caps are not guaranteed to seal if the valve leaks or "centrifuges" at high speed. Some metal ones are chrome plated brass, better than the cheaper aluminium ones which corrode rapidly in contact with the brass valve holder, road salt exacerbates this.

Best use silicon grease as it won't harm the rubber components, and don't over-tighten, just nip them up with a spanner. Works for me!

Mine are anti theft metal ones and are screwed on then have a grub screw in the side which has totally rusted as I found out yesterday. Waiting for a nice day to attempt to get those off. Stupid things. Back to plastic caps for me next time. Definatly not worth the hastle.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.