Buying Cat D and Vehicle Inspections

Well if I can get the money together i've got my eye on a Gen7 GT, however it is a Cat D,

Anyone bought a Cat D car before? regret it?

and on further due to it being a Cat D, i think i'll definatly be getting a vehicle inspection of some kind (like those offered by the AA/RAC) anyone used them before? what sort of stuff do you get back? I interested on how good the damage has been repaired mainly, but also the rest of the info would be handy

Cheers

depends on how much damage their was before hand - also depends on the person doing repairs - if you can see pics of the car before - may give you a better idea,

the vehicle inspections - also depend on the inspector - some of the stuff they come back with is way over the top whilst they can still miss some pretty important things - id take it a MOT tester you know and trust and get a more straight answer.

Well the repair was front wings and door according to the advert, and once i have the money, will ask for pics of the car damaged (if they have them) will also ask for receipts of the repair work done

the car is in west yorkshire, so would be hard to try and persuade the current owner to allow me to bring it back down here for an MOT tester , unless anyone knows a good MOT tester up there

this is the car

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2366487.htm

Cat D is panel damage only so as long as the panels line up and the colour match is good it shouldn't make any difference to the car as a whole

I'm sure there's a diagram showing detailed measuring points somewhere on the net, you could check those yourself for peace of mind that the chassis is right

Cat C and D if repaired correctly are effectively a better car than second hand... due to all the new parts! Haha

But in reality, it doesnt cost more on insurance, i used to buy smashed up ones and fix them and sell them on, quite popular as cheaper to buy...

I've also owned them in the past, no problems what so ever

Mikey

in the event of a claim the insurance will pay out less , the bastards dont charge less premium

as for repairs , depends on hows its done , correctly it will be fault free and as has been said can be stronger than standard fair , done poorly then its shit fitting panels with doors and bonnets that dont open and rust before you know it , check yourself , your looking for poor fitment , super glued plastics and piss poor colour matches , if its a good job you should have to look hard to find the repair

I had a car once which was on a C, a woman crashed in to me, i got paid out and got top $$ for my car :lol:

So it's the luck of the draw i suppose, weather they check or they dont in the event of a claim

And if a repair is fantastic, i wouldnt hesitate in the purchase, check inside of tyres and steering as can be knocked out and make the car run sideways rather than in line :lol:

some insurance companys will not insure an ex right off

1 of my friends does a lot of cat c and d motors ive had a few off him in the past and theyve been well repaired but i have seen some really shoddy work as well

just be careful.if you have a bump and its your fault you,ll get a crap payout if your the 3rd party you,ll get full money paid out on the vehicle

i think the vehicles are worth 25-30% less than a none write off as well

get it checked well if your thinking of buying :lol:

I had a car once which was on a C, a woman crashed in to me, i got paid out and got top $$ for my car :lol:

So it's the luck of the draw i suppose, weather they check or they dont in the event of a claim

And if a repair is fantastic, i wouldnt hesitate in the purchase, check inside of tyres and steering as can be knocked out and make the car run sideways rather than in line :lol:

its hard to question it when the accident wasnt your fault and if you were in the range of the book price , the insurance expect proof the cars 100% in the event of a claim for theft , it was once a common practice to buy damaged repair cars , get an mot on them and then do an insurance claim , the car goes missing and who knows if the repair was ever done , hence insurance can be bastards , if you get an agreed value and pictures then theres nothing to worry about

Message i've just got from THE_5TIG

'Hi mate,

responding to the gen7 GT in yellow from bradford u r looking at...

I bought a car from them a while back... so i know these guys VERY well (nikkah and pav aziz)

All im saying be VERY wary mate.... that car is cheap for a reason....

Im an ex toyota technician, and i questioned this guy for a mate..... (my mate wanted the yellow GT)

It wasnt looking good..... and this car has been for sale for at least 4 months....'

:lol:

Even worse!!!! another message off a new member (grebby_CelicaGT), altho kinda contradicting THE _5TIG

'I brought the Gt you've been looking at mate two days after it cMe up for sale lol it's mint just needs two new wheels as they're a bit damaged that's it got it for a bargain ad'

Most importantly for any Cat C or D car to driven on the road again it HAS (by law) to have a new MOT AND have a VIC test which is a vehicle identity check. The closest one to bradford is in Doncaster and it costs around £35 IIRC. He can not sell the car until this is done and if he does and someone buys it and insures it, its not covered. A VIC test is to make sure its not a ringed/cloned car. They do not check any repairs to the vehicle. An MOT will pick up badly repaired damage, especially that which will affect steering/suspension/braking systems as these are all checked in the MOT. Im originally from Bradford and just live round the corner in Hudd at the moment, if you want me to come with you to view it I dont mind :lol:

Edited by Serratia

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.