footwell lights...... legal?

Blaine

i got some led strips and i want to wire them up in my footwell so that they are on when my lights are on.

it would be a really nice blue glow to go with my halek ring then

does anyone know the legality of this?

I think: please yourself, as long as you're not projecting a blue light outside the car. Despite lorries and the like being lit up like Xmas trees, you're not supposed to project any light other than the legally allowed colours in the correct directions (i.e. red to the rear, white/yellow to the front and so on).

Blue light is particularly frowned upon.

Angus

I think: please yourself, as long as you're not projecting a blue light outside the car. Despite lorries and the like being lit up like Xmas trees, you're not supposed to project any light other than the legally allowed colours in the correct directions (i.e. red to the rear, white/yellow to the front and so on).

Blue light is particularly frowned upon.

Angus

i new blue lights in the headlights and towards the front and rear of the car wasnt good coz it immitates cops

but not sure bout the footwell lol

in side the car is fine as long as you cant see the light from the out side.

normally wire them in to the door switches though. so they come on when you open the door and then go out when you close it. otherwise i can see it getting annoying driving at night.

The exact legality relates to "directly visible elements" reflected light is not illegal, however you can be done for "distracting road users" if they want to be picky. :)

so they are legal, but only if the glow through the windows isnt distracting to other road users?

Elements (LEDs in your case) are not visible is the key. Only the reflected light should be visible, mainly applied to the external of the car, but people do daft things. i.e those LED washer jets are totally illegal.

Elements (LEDs in your case) are not visible is the key. Only the reflected light should be visible, mainly applied to the external of the car, but people do daft things. i.e those LED washer jets are totally illegal.

so in theory, putting some led strips in the footwells should b fine, providiny u cant actually see the bulb. just see the light from the bulb?

Nope same rule for all vehicle lighting.

That's why i can get away with my underlighting kit, all the tubes are hidden and only the light reflecting from the road surface is visible.

so neons are legal?

No, they are not.

They're just not illegal when installed correctly.

If the law included any reflected light, then you oculd in theory be prosecuted for parking by a shop that has a neon sign and it reflecting under the car.

You can of course recieve a section 59 for "antisocial use of a motor vehicle" if you get the sharp end of the fuzz.

Always best to apologise and switch them off when asked, or have a laminated copy of the UK road vehicle lighting regulations in the glovebox for "discussion" purposes. :)

Edited by Custom Ice

Was on my way home tonight and seen a Car with a day light of blue neon... really annoying, just hope he wouldn't cross a police car.. I too have a footwell light and it doesn't affects my vision as it was sit deep under that it is so dim...

Was on my way home tonight and seen a Car with a day light of blue neon... really annoying, just hope he wouldn't cross a police car.. I too have a footwell light and it doesn't affects my vision as it was sit deep under that it is so dim...

Have you got them wired so that they come on when the headlights come on?

yeah mate... wired it from the cig. lighter check on halek gear ring.. you'll see how to do it...

i've already wired my halek ring this way

isit possible to solder the halek ring and the footwells to the same wire?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.