Halfords

Aftershock

Had a brake light out and since todays the first day i've had the car out in 3 weeks went to halfords to get a new one. Had a look at all the bulbs but couldnt tell which was the right one, so turned to the lookup chart. Toyota celica, thats a 380, ok find the bulb, hmm doesnt look right to me. The a helpful guy came offer to offer assistance, yeh can you check the brake light bulb for an 02 celica? Yeh thats a 380, hmm ok guess it must be then and i got it wrong.

Wasnt sure if i needed to take the light cluster out or not so waited until i got home, go to change the bulb and its the wrong bulb :)

so after being assured it the correct one in halfords i now need to go back and inform them no its not its the one i thought it was in the first place.

Mate exact same thing happened to me!! Took it to the garage last week and just looked stupid! Had to pay another 6 quid for a bulb at the garage. The one halfords state is correct and the actual correct one is completely different.

Don't ask the moneys at Halfords, they don't know how to tell the difference between their arse and a carrot.

i beg to differ , i asked my local for a spark plug for a celica , and she could find the car celica in the book , she tried all the c's she had citroen , and chevy , but no celica

told the daft cow to look under T for TOYOTA :)

halfords are great ;)

Ive always found Halfords very good,especially on those days when i fancy talking to someone who knows more about baking cakes than the part im after and i want to stick pins in my eyes for twenty minutes.

Every time I have a blown bulb in the house or car I remove it prior to going to the shop and have it in my pocket. That way you can be sure it's the right size, power and connection type. Saves a wasted trip.

Can't really join the hate for Halfords as they've been pretty useful for me both in Gateshead where I used to live and now Milton Keynes. Identifying the correct battery for my import model which has the small connection posts, fitting alloys, mixing paint and finding those bulbs etc. Always been superstores if it makes a difference...

Yea they are useful if you know what you want, I always find out first and don`t rely on thos books they have. Very good when they have 3 for 2 on cleaning stuff and I always get the buy one get one free on superbright bulbs when the offer is on, prices not great on good name oils but I keep an eye open for Asda offers for that.

Having been the dedicated fitter for my store for 2 years id like to think i did quite a good job (but lord knows Straiton store just couldnt keep up with us :)) but it did come up a few times that the chart was wrong, and the computer was right.

Best bet is always bring the bulb you need in if you can. Problems occured with the charts when cars had facelifts like the....em...celica, and light clusters got changed.....

But yes, the pay is terrible, and lord knows if your good at what you do in Halfords - and that can be a huge range of things - you need to have your head screwed on a bit better than the £8 an hour till monkeys at Morrisons.

Halfords have an expectation that ALL staff need to know how to fit every bulb to every type of car, and in a squeeze the wrong person gets lumped with the job

Well i wasnt sure how the buld came out and was pushed for time so didnt bother taking it in with me or fitting in the car park. We live and learn though. Went back and told the guy what i needed, he checked the computer, no still wrong bulb but he did do his best to look through the bulbs and we found the right one in the end and exchanged it no problem. I would have though a company like halfods could afford to update their systems every once in a while to include things like this, the staff can only be as good as the systems there working with.

Was Seafield Halfords so neither Yours or straighton Invisible Dark lol

i went in a few weeks before xmas, and ordered 2 K&N filters for my celica. "year?" 1979. "1979 and you want to put a K&N filter on it????? (with a puzzled face)." yes, actually i'd like two please, as its a twin carb. then it was just a proper blank look on her face :)

she was very friendly though and i think that makes up for it. If they are rude and not technically minded then i'd prob get arsey, but in my experience, halfords staff either know what they are doing or do their best to help and are friendly, so i don't mind going in. 99% of the time i use my local old skool autofactors as its only a walk up the road, ut i like the extended opening hours halfords have, its saved me many a time- although some of the prices leave a lot to be desired even with a trade card.

but yep first time i ever replace a particular type of bulb i take it in with me, once you've done one its in the memory banks then and theres no need.

I must admit my run ins with Halfords have been good. Always had good service from them, or at least the store in South shields.

they allowed me to 'take' 2 sat navs, a new TOM TOM and a new GARMIN one because I had a 10 hour round trip and my TOM TOM wasnt wokring so they allowed me to take 2 sat navs for the price of one and just give them back the sat nav i was mroe happy with.

It turned out the TOMTOM didnt work anyways so I've since had the GARMIN which is my best friend when trying to find night clubs when Dj's other end of country.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.