Welcome to Celica Club UK

Welcome to Celica Club UK, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information. Take advantage of it immediately, Register Now or Sign In.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Add events to our community calendar
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
  • Use the wealth of knowledge our members have to help with any questions you may have.

Question

I've got two unrelated issues that someone might be able to help me out with. Firstly it's a brake bais passenger front side grabbing stronger than other. I've changed both calipers, discs and the rubber brake hoses. Issues still there don't really notice it when I drive but it's picked up every mot. Any help? Secondly car alarm going off when I open the door driving me mad!!

Just thought of another one sunroof when I try to open it can here a clicking but zero movement, tried forcing it but no joy. Would be great to have it ready for the summer, any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks. 2001 Celica by the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Yes that was the switch I was thinking of but if it does it any door doesn't seem to be that.  It does sound like the car is auto arming itself again very quickly , but unfortunately I have no idea why 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
53 minutes ago, Alv said:

I've got two unrelated issues that someone might be able to help me out with. Firstly it's a brake bais passenger front side grabbing stronger than other. I've changed both calipers, discs and the rubber brake hoses. Issues still there don't really notice it when I drive but it's picked up every mot. Any help? Secondly car alarm going off when I open the door driving me mad!!

Just thought of another one sunroof when I try to open it can here a clicking but zero movement, tried forcing it but no joy. Would be great to have it ready for the summer, any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks. 2001 Celica by the way.

 

 

Sunroof sounds like the chains in the mechanism are gone - I have some mechanisms going fairly cheap if you need one

 

When you changed the calipers did you change the carriers too? How much is the imbalance?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
36 minutes ago, ams said:

 

 

Sunroof sounds like the chains in the mechanism are gone - I have some mechanisms going fairly cheap if you need one

 

When you changed the calipers did you change the carriers too? How much is the imbalance?

 

 

Can't quite remember figure with the imbalance but it's more or less a fail. I think he lets it through because he knows me so well and can see what I've done. I thoroughly cleaned and greases the sliding pins, are the carriers the stainless steel bits on the callipers if so there done. 

14 minutes ago, Alv said:

Can't quite remember figure with the imbalance but it's more or less a fail. I think he lets it through because he knows me so well and can see what I've done. I thoroughly cleaned and greases the sliding pins, are the carriers the stainless steel bits on the callipers if so there done. 

Thanks for the offer on the sunroof parts may take you up on that, is it worth taking my apart first? See what's what. Just realised what the carriers are I did change one side that felt sticky  (second hand part)

Edited by Alv

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Does the interior light go on when you open the door ? Possibly the door sensor switch not working so not recognising door opening ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Beeva said:

Does the interior light go on when you open the door ? Possibly the door sensor switch not working so not recognising door opening ?

What happens is when I unlock the door and open it after about 2 seconds there's a clicking and the alarm sounds, hazard lights flashing and interior light on. I then start the car then after about 30 seconds the alarm goes off and then drive as normal. Which ever door I open sets the alarm off including the boot.

I've attached a picture is this the switch you are referring to?

20180309_101251.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

are you using the fob to unlock the car or the physical key?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 hours ago, Alv said:

I've got two unrelated issues that someone might be able to help me out with. Firstly it's a brake bais passenger front side grabbing stronger than other. I've changed both calipers, discs and the rubber brake hoses. Issues still there don't really notice it when I drive but it's picked up every mot. Any help? Secondly car alarm going off when I open the door driving me mad!!

Just thought of another one sunroof when I try to open it can here a clicking but zero movement, tried forcing it but no joy. Would be great to have it ready for the summer, any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks. 2001 Celica by the way.

With regards to the brake issue there does seem too be a little binding on the front passenger side. 

14 minutes ago, ams said:

are you using the fob to unlock the car or the physical key?

Yes I'm using the key fob.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That sounds like the Alarm ECU is faulty-  I have a few cheap - drop me a message if you need one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 09/03/2018 at 10:58, ams said:

That sounds like the Alarm ECU is faulty-  I have a few cheap - drop me a message if you need one 

THANKS ams, alarm ecu arrived today fitted it on all working perfectly now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

For brake imbalance you mentioned you changed the calipers and hoses. Did you also get new brake pads and possibly discs too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks, the discs aren't that old but I did put new pads on. Is the a possible it could be the master cylinder?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

doubt it the master. have you checked to see if one side pads are retracting more then the other side?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The drivers side retracts fine passenger side sticks a bit. When I've had it in the air the passenger side doesn't turn freely. Nothing being picked up on the back ones in the mot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, Alv said:

The drivers side retracts fine passenger side sticks a bit. When I've had it in the air the passenger side doesn't turn freely. Nothing being picked up on the back ones in the mot. 

 

stuck pads, siezed piston or a seized pins in the carrier

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks, taken pins out and given a good lube. Callipers are fairly new. (Reconditioned) after a short drive passenger side disc is differently hotter, but not really bothering me when I'm driving and not pulling to one side either. When it stop raining perhaps I'll do another disassemble. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

They don't feel any different to the ones on the other side. When I put new pads in I cleaned them up and they seemed smooth. Maybe I'll try to post a couple of pics when I take the wheel off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

how much fluid did you push through after changing the flexis and the calipers, and are you certain you got all the air out?

 

Are the rears imbalanced ? (would be looking at drivers rear because of the diagonal circuits)

 

Also, did you bleed the rears after doing the front end work?  The front hard lines to the MC and ABS units are pretty short and it wouldn't take much fluid loss from disconnecting the fronts for air to be introduced into the system which could travel around the system

 

The hotter wheel may just be because that side is working harder than the other if there is air in the system, or it could be pads, slider or piston sticking as AMS has said.

Edited by G.Lewarne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I don't remember bleeding the rears much, I give the fronts plenty. That something quite simply I could try. Thanks. Rear brake pipes are still original. Pins in good working order and new carriers on the rear. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

on my fiesta i had a faulty brake hose that acted as a one way valve so brake would stay on for one wheel where the dodgey hose was and not retract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites