800 mile service?

Due to the PANdemIC, my 2006 Gen 7 GT did 800 miles between MoTs last year, bringing the total to about 48,000

Until last year, it had been serviced and MoT'd every year by Mr T but, as they always managed to find something expensive to fail it it on lately, I opted for another MoT tester at the end of 2020.  No issues.

I am reluctant to get Mr T to service it, given the low mileage, but what recommendations would you have for a "mini" service for time, rather than distance, related items?

The car isn't garaged and is usually parked in gear with the handbrake off and the negative battery terminal disconnected.  When it gets used, I do a couple of laps of Peterborough's parkway system (about 30 miles) to warm everything up and make sure that it goes into lift properly

Testing, and possibly replacing, brake fluid is the first thing that springs to mind

Anything else?

I would take the opportunity to do the calipers if I was doing brake fluid change. Also exercise the handbrake cable and clean off the discs both internally and externally. Oil would be another as it doesn't like being sat around not doing anything. You could purchase a brake fuild tester. They are only about a tenner.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My gen4 hasn't done any real mileage either,its garaged and on a trickle charger and has been out a few times but even so,did a brake check,and as I do the servicing myself I gave her fresh oil and filter,plugs etc last week.Parts aren't expensive so a no brainer for me really.But yes a health check on the brakes for you should be done as Jim mentioned.Cars don't like being sat around,electricals should be fully utilised when you do get her out too,get the lights going,heater blowing ,etc.

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately I am at a stage in life when doing my own servicing is beyond me (agility, facilities and tools) but I'll bear it in mind when getting a local garage to give a omnce overi.

Also, I'll get them to reset the alignment, freeing off and lubricating the toe and camber bolts as it was an expensive PITA to get them replaced when they had seaized up a few years ago

And the electrics get  work out on my warm up laps. Lights on, AC on etc.

Edited by trophytr5

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.