White/blue smoke

alex282

I sold the facelift 140 engine from my breaking gen 7 on ebay recently with 100k miles and full service history and the guy has just had it put in a few days ago. He says that in the morning or after sitting for a while that it puffs out white/blue smoke after idling

When I had this engine in my car at 100k miles it was fine and never burned any oil, never rattled and never smoked. 6 months ago before removing it I left it running for half an hour with no problems

It was sitting in my car for 6 months and then in my shed for another 6 months so there could have been some build up of moisture. The way he is describing it sounds like it's more smoke than steam though.

I have looked up causes of bluish.white smoke but I wouldn't think that the steam valves would have worn away just by being left sitting. Or also how it would suddenly start burning oil/coolant after sitting

Any ideas of what the cause is? I have asked him to get back to me again in a few days and check the levels every day

It's possible it's sticking / gummed up oil rings knowing this engines tendancy towards such things. Leaving an engine stood isn't good for it, especially if it isn't in a warm dry environment. It's normally a good idea to drop a spoonful of redex in through the plugholes a couple of days before firing it up to help with such things.

I wouldn't panic just yet. Drive it round for a couple of weeks and monitor oil use closely and see if it settles back in.

I do think it's admirable that you would want to sort this problem for him but at the end of the day the guy bought a 2nd hand engine on eBay. To the best of your knowledge it was fine when it was in your car. You don't know anything about the person who installed the engine in his car, absolutely anything could have gone wrong.

I would email him with suggestions given above but at the end of the day it's really not your problem.

Were all the details that are stated in the first post, included in the Ebay advert?

If so then don't worry. You have been totally honest and no-one held a gun to the buyers head!!

IMHO if you're stupid enough to buy an engine off ANYONE without seeing it running , then that's you're choice....BUT don't moan when it blows itself to pieces.....

FairPlay to you though for trying to help, but you're not responsible, as long as the Ebay advert was honest and true...

Edited by Matty555

On my advert all the details were there and honest except that I didn't state that it was sitting in my shed for around 6 months

I should have added this but I asked around and people said that leaving it sitting in a dry environment for a few months wouldn't have any effect as people leave their cars sitting for years and the engines still run and I assumed most breakers wouldn't state something like this from what I've seen on car parts adverts. Also because someone originally bought it not long after I took it out but the deal fell through and I had ebay automatically relist it month after month. Before I took the engine out I took a video of it running with the mileage too incase anyone asked but no one ever did

I did sell it at a reasonable price which is cheaper than most advertised (£450 including delivery) though, so hopefully the pistons or whatever are going to loosen up or in the worst case he can get a garage or someone to put something on to do that

Edited by alex282

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.