G7 Handbrake adjustment question

Recently had an overhaul of handbrake assembly to include new back-plates, drum blocks and spring kit, and a pair rear wheel bearing units.

Everything seem to fit and go on okay but after leaving the garage the handbrake did seem to work okay but by the time i'd got home it didn't.

We thought the issue could be the highly corroded ends of the original cables so new cables were ordered and fitted at 2nd visit at the garage.

On leaving the garage after this 2nd visit, the handbrake did work okay, ...but then gradually lost grip, a couple of days later no grip at all.

Now booked into garage again this coming Thursday for the 3rd time lucky... :mellow:

Is handbrake adjustment a straight forward job on a Gen 7?

...or is there some unforeseen gremlin lurking in the works?  :unsure:

FqjOo9C.jpg

jYCxjyc.jpg

Edited by Crazy Cat Lady

• Crazy Cat Lady changed the title to G7 Handbrake adjustment question

Ok make sure the adjusters on the shoes are all the way out. Then to adjust it is a 10 mm bolt on the back of the hand brake. Just got to take the rear of the Center console off. Two screws on sides and two 10 bolts inside the cubby!

3 hours ago, commandosqueak said:

make sure the adjusters on the shoes are all the way out. Then to adjust it is a 10 mm bolt on the back of the hand brake. Just got to take the rear of the Center console off. Two screws on sides and two 10 bolts inside the cubby!

Thank you for responding

All fairly straight forward then (which is what i was wondering)

Pretty sure the garage guys doing this job know what they're doing, but there is something odd going on.

The job included replacement with new rear back plates, new rear wheel bearing units, and new brake shoes & springs set.

I got the impression the actual handbrake adjustment would be thrown in for free...

Handbrake worked okay initially but by the time i got home it no longer did (?) and the reason for this isn't clear yet.

It was thought the issue maybe the old and badly corroded cable end interface with the brand new back plates, so 2nd visit went armed with a pair of new cables.

These were fitted okay, and again the handbrake worked initially but after a couple of days ...didn't.

So 3rd visit to the garage booked on Thursday for some serious head scratching action.  

They be clever guys at the garage, can't doubt or fault their ability and knowledge, but blimey what a kerfuffle! 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.