GT4 listed as 1 of 60 seriously undervalued cars worth more....

CheltGirl

That's exactly my point - the cs bumper support offers no protection, it isn't supposed to - so if as you suggest, someone fits a cs bumper to a non cs car, but doesn't also use the cs support, then they have full protection, but if they also fitted the cs support, they would have no protection - is that the point you're trying to make, that they should use a cs support with a cs bumper, and throw away the protection that the original crash bar offered.

I'm not suggesting that no as if someone fits a cs/rc bumper to a standard Gen 5 and doesn't use the cs/rc reinforcement support bars then they won't have full protection / support as they won't be using the correct bars for it.

I'm saying that in most cases when people swap their bumpers for a cs/rc bumper and don't have the bars that go with it then they are not having the correct protection / support for that bumper, now it may be that they didn't get them with it when they purchased it or more likely they don't realise that the cs/rc bumper is built differently and therefore uses different reinforcement support bars to a standard bumper and so to be safe they should fit the correct reinforcement bars for the correct bumper if they change it.

I think I understood what you were saying, you seem to be advocating that anyone fitting a cs bumper to their non cs car, should surrender the impact protection the standard crash bar gives, in favour of the lack of protection that the correct cs bumper support provides - I don't really get that logic.

The initial point I made about the gen 5 bumpers being interchangeable, was nothing to do with the rights or wrongs of swapping bumpers, and/or crashbars, I was merely pointing out to cheltgirl, that their is no such thing as a 'widebody' bumper.

I am merely saying that if someone wants to swap bumpers then they should make sure they have the 2 reinforcement support bars the cs/rc bumper comes with and in most cases I don't think they do as they may not even be supplied with it when it's purchased 2nd hand and therefore the bumper is not supported/protected as it should be.

As they may not even be aware the bumpers are built differently as the cs/rc has 2 support bars (lower & upper) whereas the standard bumper has just the 1 support bar (of course they have the energy absorbers but am only referring to bars), obviously you know all this as you have probably seen the differences 100's of times! But many people swapping the bumpers are probably not even aware of the differences.

The cs only has one support bar, just like all the other gen 5's, it's a very light aluminium extrusion, designed to give the bumper some shape, and prevent vibration - it won't even withstand a 10 mph impact - the top one is merely a sheet metal locating strip, as fitted to all gen 5 bumpers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.