advice needed on painting

I'm in the process of painting my sports-m scoop from ray & i'm looking for a few pointers. It's had 4 coats of primer, been rubbed down with 1200 grit wet & dry, & now had 4 coats of base coat. The question is, do I rub down again before applying the lacquer? It's got a bit of an orange peely look at the moment but I'm worried that if I rub down, it'll make the paint a bit dull. Will the lacquer restore the shine? Should I apply the lacquer THEN rub down before the compounding & waxing? sorry if these are newbie questions but I've only ever painted wheels before & tbh, I wasn't too fussed about the finish. This time, I want it to look spot on. Cheers folks

I normally used a bit of washing up liquid in the water to help lub up the wet n dry paper , if you rub it down in good light , sand , wipe dry with clean cloth , you will see all the little bits of orange peel , providing you have put enuff paint on , sand it so it's nice and smooth and dull , if you go thru paint , spray again until you can sand it smooth , then lacquer , a good few coats to build up a nice thickness

Leave lacquer for a couple of days to dry even if it looks smooth , sand again , same as the base coat , till it's flat and smooth , then start to polish , this should give you a nice really shiney finish

I tend to use halfords cutting compound , then megs scratch-x , the megs compound , followed by polish and wax

The main prob I have found , and I see it a lot , most people don't use enuff paint , especially if it's from a rattle can , they spray , get a cover of colour and think that's it , my boot spoiler took 4 cans to get it right , one just about covered if , but in places the paint was see thru

I'd say it would depend on colour, if it's metallic colour like lagoon blue then no I wouldn't flat back the colour, just leave it for 30mins to dry then lacquer straight away. But a straight gloss colour then yes flat it back like about with some 2000 then make sure it's clean and dry with paint prep wipes then lacquer :)

Mine's Astral black guys & I've rubbed it back now so no going back! Looks & feels pretty smooth so I'm going with the lacquer tomorrow. I did go through the paint a little on one edge(right where it'll touch the bonnet) so it's been resprayed & rubbed back again. I'm not even sure if it would've been visible when fitted but I'm taking no chances! All good this time :) Thanks again for the input. Pics will follow when it's done, hopefully Thursday( Scottish weather permitting)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.