Postive Crankcase Ventilation

digs

Ok, not sure if I have completely misunderstood PCV....

On my 3sfe I have a connection from the valve cover to the manifold.

Now, under vacuum this sucks the air out of the crankcase into the manifold to be burnt up again, yes?

So I have a one way valve on this so under boost conditions, as the manifold is positive, it stops pressurising the crankcase.

And I also have a breather tube, from again the valve cover, that connects to the air box. This now connects to the cone filter piping before the turbo.

Now..I have an oil catch can, but I have put this on the breather tube.

That doesn't sound right reading what I have written, shouldn't it be put between the valve cover and manifold ?

The breather tube....under vacuum it pushes out air. so connected to pre throttle, that is just going to increase the amount of "suction" and pull more air out of the crankcase. So in boost situations this is now pulling out air and stopping over pressurisation.

So reading THAT, I should out the catch can here.

Ugghhh.

What I am being to dense to understand here! 2 catch cans ? Breather just out to a mini filter ?

Breather supplies fresh air which is then sucked out by the manifold valve...if so why does it puff out air when idling rather than drawing air in?

someone put me out of my misery. It all works, but my catch can is arse-about-face?

It is...kinda.....as it shows the catch can between the valve cover and the crank case, with a second pipe to the intake "boot", whereas mine is on the pipe to the intake "boot" as there is no external connection between valve cover and crank case to put the catch can. Maybe it's just not appropriate ?

EDIT: actually, that is just an internal things isn't it.

However, will read those links, thanks for the help :)

Edited by digs

The quantity of blowby gas is related to how hard the engine is working.

Light throttles, when the manifold is at vacuum, there is very little blowby so mostly you get fresh air going in the breather, through the engine, and out via the PCV valve to the inlet manifold. The flow is very small, so very little oil is carried in the air, hence no need for a catch can.

On boost, the PCV valve is closed and the considerable quantity of blowby gas goes out through the breather taking with it oil mist from the sump. The separators in the cam cover plus the catch can remove as much of this oil as possible to return it to the sump.

The reason for having this 'double breather' system is that under 'cruising' conditions (most of the time on a road car) it keeps a supply of fresh air passing through the engine, removing the nasty chemicals in the blowby gas.

Thanks, read through the line as well, and makes much more sense, the two effectivelly switch. Found it quite interesting about setting up vacuum pumps/using exhaust as a vacuum to pull away the gasses. Not that I will do either.

cheers guys :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.