3sge sump bolt question

When changing the oil on a 3sge, whats recommended? a new washer on the sump bolt, or is it one where you get a new bolt and washer?

The reason I am asking is most of my mechanical work has been done on bikes and they just have a new washer. But when I serviced my Ford pickup last year, the shop sold the washer in a pack with a new bolt.

Also does anyone know what torque amount the sump bolt needs?

Edited by stevepeanut

buy a magnetic one and it will come with a new washer.

torgue setting is always the same, and thats my right arm. tight is tight!! (but dont over do it)

cheap enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=magnetic+sump+bolt+celica&_lncat=0&_sop=15&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=magnetic+sump+celica&_sacat=0

Cheers for finding that, I bought a torque wrench from halfords, so its worth getting out of the garage and using for things like this.

Its one thing that worries me, too slack and it might work its way out (seen that happen on a bike years ago)

Or go too tight and strip the thread.

Just went to the local car spares shop, and bought a couple of oil filters, I asked for a sump gasket washer and the fella says they don't list them and if I want one I'll have to bring the old gasket to the shop. I might do that tomorrow.

Edited by stevepeanut

I would not go back just for a washer lol, just reuse your old one it will be fine.

Order the one posted about and just change next weekend.

Edited by Cam

I put a new gasket on my sump plug with every oil change, for under £1.50 there's no reason not too. Fensport are just down the road from me and they always have them in stock. Heres a link to the Gen 5 one.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_12/Category_8/1086

I put a new gasket on my sump plug with every oil change, for under £1.50 there's no reason not too. Fensport are just down the road from me and they always have them in stock. Heres a link to the Gen 5 one.

http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_12/Category_8/1086

I ended up going mountain biking today so didn't do the oil. I thought I would order one from Fensport, I just clicked your link, but they wanted £4.50 postage ! not today thankyou :rolleyes:

I had to call at Toyota today to pick up a part, while I was there I asked if they had the correct washer in stock, and they did, sorted now. Just trying to get some enthusiasm to go outside and change the oil. Its cold and windy out there and much nicer and warmer in the house :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.