Sealing oil fittings

digs

Hi, have googled this, but seems to be conflicting info.

Can anyone let me know if I should need to use ptft tape on ;

AN fittings

NPT fittings

It seems no to AN and maybe to NPT? It is for oil fittings from and to my CT26. Or should these self seal anyway and I don't need to worry? I actually have an oil leak and am replacing the oil lines, but think that's from a poor bit of construction on my part.

Thanks for any info :)

The standard pipes for CT26 turbo don't use any fitting suitable for PTFE tape or sealant. The block end is a banjo with ali or copper washers each side, the turbo end uses a gasket. The OEM gasket is metal and requires the mating faces to be clean. Many aftermarket gasket kits provide a paper one which leaves a mess afterwards making it difficult to get it to seal afterwards. The oil return couples via a very expensive short length of flexi hose.

If you are using other fittings, or elsewhere such as oil pressure sensor, then PTFE tape is fine but make sure it only goes on the threads and cannot end up in the oilway otherwise you may end up with bearing failure due to blockages.

generally, use PTFE on tapered threads (seal on thread). If the thread is non tapered, then it normally seals on the outer face with copper washer ( or similar ) or the inner face with a tapered end.

• Like 1

It's aftermarket lines, t off from oil pressure switch for feed, with original lines for return (as have st185 pan) - bought a after market line kit a while ago (over a year!), and as current effort is leaking thought I may as well replace it all.

They are all either AN fittings or NPT, except the t piece and original oil switch which have a bspt.

Thanks for the info :)

Edited by digs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.