Spacer torque settings

digs

Bought some second hand bolt on hub centric spacers last week, went to fit them last night. Apart from sticking the wheel out too far, when I tightened up the steel tapered wheel nuts I was using before, I gave it to much on the breaker bar and sheered on of the studs right off!

I did them up too tight obviously, but anyone got any toque settings for bolt on spacers ?

I bought 4, now have 3 and a broken one....

null_zps99e46cd3.jpg

Edited by digs

No where near 100lb/ft if they're FreakyParts spacers.

As you're tightening into aluminium they need to be upto around 70lb/ft otherwise you'll strip the thread.

We can sort out replacement studs if you need. Drop me a PM.

The correct way to fit them is a dab of threadlock on the base of the stud which screws into the spacer, screw it in finger tight then let it set for 10 minutes.

Then fit the spacer to the car with the nuts supplied, torque these nuts up to the normal wheel torque, then fit the wheel to the new studs, refit your wheel nuts and torque upto around 70lb/ft

Oh, and please don't put any coppergrease on the studs - either end or nuts. Wheel nuts don't want to be easy to loosen :)

Edited by FreakyParts

Hmmmm, that last statement made me think a bit on using copper grease with wheel fastners.

Maybe it's not such a good idea afterall. I have done this, probably on every car I have had over the last 25 odd years.

I have never had a wheel seize nor come loose, but when thinking on the physics of the fastner, I think it is better avoided.

I'll stop using it on the hub/wheel mounting surface too.

Hands up.......bad advice :P

They ate only pish fit in hammer and a punch will take the stud out easy for ya.

They ate only pish fit in hammer and a punch will take the stud out easy for ya.

drunk at 2.30 in the afternoon ? :D cheers buddy :)

I think..

*Easily for you*

If you're being pedantic, and we all know you like correcting spelling and grammar Dubs! ;)

I'll agree with the 103Nm though, On the 7 I torqued mine to 106Nm which is what is recommended for the wheels iirc, and I wouldn't go below that.

Just remember to check the nuts after fitting and driving for 50 miles or so, this will require removing the wheels so they will need to be checked a second time. The trick is to find the lowest torque that is required that doesn't allow the nuts to come loose.

what size spacer you got digs?

25mm, bought 4 off a guy in the wanted section. 25mm is too wide for the front though by the look of the rear

thanks for all the advice above btw :)

Edited by digs

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.