Higher octane fuel

Finally managed to run the tank down (had to fill up the other week with normal stuff) and I do feel a difference in the car (not sure if placebo?)

Only done about 40 miles (and the first bar on my G7 has just gone off) so interested to see if my MPG improves

Think the garage I went to was 146.9 so not sure if that's expensive? Never really pay attention to the price, I just fill up

The Shell App is really good and it gives you regular special offers for free points

I just activated an offer for 100 free points, 500 = £2.50 in money off vouchers,

you will get notifications when offers are available or keep an eye out in the bottom left corner of the UI when your in the App

Some pics...
post-13443-0-02053000-1377182361_thumb.jpgpost-13443-0-04767000-1377182377_thumb.jpgpost-13443-0-88563800-1377182386_thumb.jpgpost-13443-0-76199000-1377182394_thumb.jpg

I also use Shell VPower Nitro - I ran my tank completely bone dry of the premium unleaded in there before emptying 2 jerry cans of V Power in to it as well and reset the ECU... immediate difference. You might also pay a little bit more at the pump than standard/premium unleaded - but if your car is anything like mine, you might find your MPG going up slightly, making up for the cost. The additives in VPower apparently clean out some of the engine components - allowing it to breathe more freely, so after a while - you might start noticing increasingly better results. :)

• 1 month later...

Bit of a thread resurrection. Decided to stick in 2 tankfuls of VPower Nitro because RaceCar... that and the fact that it was triple points. I reset the ECU and car was serviced about 1000 miles ago so it's in good fettle. Other than my bank account being lighter, I saw no difference in performance on B-roads and long runs. Still 330 to the tank. In fact, off throttle response was worse in my opinion in that engine braking was more abrupt. Through the gears, I can't really tell the difference!

Car is totally stock enginewise, so I'm claiming snake-oil on this! Either that or my point of reference for acceleration and throttle response is blurred by the fact that I use my FireBlade as a basis for comparison. Bike doesn't notice the difference between posh and standard shell (it's running a custom map on the power commander) and to be honest, I can't tell the difference in the 190 either.

Edited by The Tot

Decided to stick in 2 tankfuls of VPower Nitro because RaceCar...

ahahah. MURICA.

I think that higher octane fuels seem to make more of a difference to turbo high performance cars if I remember correctly? Have you tried Tesco Momentum? That stuff is pretty decent to be honest...

I might save my 7p a litre and stick regular shell 95. Car isn't boosted or blown and the seat of my pants dyno isn't that sensitive to what the others have claimed. I'm not even sure of the ECU advances the ignition that much to account for 98 RON.

Uk celicas are mapped for 95 ish (imports 100) from factory and do not advance ignitions to compensate for higher Ron fuel , the additives do help , so a clean engine is a happy engine , but not nessesary a more powerful engine

And to be honest , last week shell had ran out of nitro plus , so I had to use muggle fuel in my import faff and didn't really notice a difference

A few interesting 5th gear tests

There test on super fuels suggested if your car is a high performance car that can map itself for higher Ron fuel , good gains can be had , test car was a scooby wrx and higher Ron fuel gave it something like 10 bhp more than on muggle fuel , yet a golf gti only had minimal gains

On there test on octane boosters , all the ones they used actually dropped the bhp on there test car , civic type r

And on Mondays episode they just serviced a car , corrado vr6 , 190 bhp from new , 16 years later 177 , using a bottle of red ex , new plugs , leads , oil and filter got the car running at just over 188bhp , and the biggest gain came from the red ex cleaning the system , I would say most gains on the running of older cars on high performance fuels is just the additives cleaning the fuels system like the red ex did

Edited by sonic

Yeah, wasn't really going to refer to the 5th gear test since the verdict on there was rather unanimous. My engine is quite a clean and healthy little lump, so I might save my 4 quid or so per fill up. Back to sainsburys it is. A year of filling with sainsburys fuel, along with shopping etc, I get a free copy of Fifa every year courtesy of my nectar points! So the confirmation that it doesn't have the ignition advancer justifies that I'll be going back to good old 95! Actually, you can start complaining when you're forced to put 91 RON in your tank!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.