Oem paint work

Have are cars , no matter what colour , been factory laquered

Both my 5s were metallic so had been laquered , but the faff is astral black

I know my neighbours old gen 6 was red and was laquered

Just got to respray the front bumper and I want to get it right

I would assume ALL OEM painted cars have a laquered finish. It;s the laquer which gives the paint a depth look to it and protects the paint coat

Not All OEM matey,

I work for BASF the chemical company and I'm in the Automotive coatings division

We are the market leader in the automotive coatings industry, lots of solid colour solvent bourne paints we supply today are a single coat technology (they don't use a clearcoat finish)

The gloss finish is part of the paint (the chemicals/raw material that create the gloss are built in)

Early Toyota white 040 (like my 94 faff) is a single stage topcoat

The current solid white on all Nissan's produced in Sunderland (Qashqai, Note, Juke) are a single stage topcoat.

But for Sonic's Astral Black it does use a Clearcoat after the basecoat as with all metallic and pearls

White cloth with a bit of t cut will tell you mate, any color transfer and it's single stage, no color and it's base and clear

As said above though, it's known for different manufacturers to supply the same color in single stage or base and clear depending on the paints make up

Edited by princy

After I've had my engine work done I'm saving up for a full respray, I went for a quote a reputable place which he said it would include a top coat. Which I then told him I'm sure it's just a base coat, he did look surprised but said doing it in 2 pack wasn't a problem if I wanted to keep it OEM. I guess any car older than 94 maybe just 2 pack? As it is an old method now I believe, hasn't it got lead in it or something?

After I've had my engine work done I'm saving up for a full respray, I went for a quote a reputable place which he said it would include a top coat. Which I then told him I'm sure it's just a base coat, he did look surprised but said doing it in 2 pack wasn't a problem if I wanted to keep it OEM. I guess any car older than 94 maybe just 2 pack? As it is an old method now I believe, hasn't it got lead in it or something?

The old stuff has isocyanates in, but it is still available like that which in heavy enough doses can be lethal, I got some isocyanate free 2k when I sprayed mine and it's pretty good stuff

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.