Sports cats (bit more info?)

digs

Hey guys. Anyone got thoughts on sports cat? Currently running 2.5" straight pipe, and will need a cat for emissions.

They seem pretty pricey on jetex and through longlife (£300) but guessing that's the price of ones that have a hope of getting me through emissions ?

Not sure if its better to buy one online and try to find someone who will weld it in, or just get longlife to do it....

Any thoughts ?

Edited by digs

If you need it to pass emissions you will need a 200 cell cat.

And £300 is a rip off, you can buy ones which are just as good for around £100.

Magnaflow sell them for around this price. I had a custom chrome one from demon tweeks for around £140

Pop into your local custom exhaust shop and see how much they charge for supplying a cat.

Brilliant , thanks, will check others out. Longlife were quoting 300 for cat and fitting, which seemed a lot...will call around a few others.

Edit: eBay says £100 off for the magnaflow ones, though confused over the bit about not legal for post 2001 cars, though that's not effecting me...

Edited by digs

Just trying to get myself clear on the rules around cats and emissions....

1) 2001 onwards regs need a type approved, but pre that doesn't so mine is fine witha universal cat, right?

2) There seems to be something about an eu safety mark that should be on them? or will fail MOT?

3) My SSI isn't on the list of vehicles on the emissions list, so the non-listed values are used aren't they? May have just missed that, the ST and GT are on but known of the imports it seems ? Not a lot of difference in what is needed to pass mind....

fitting an emanage plus wideband sensor to mine so kinda assuming emissions will be easier to pass as can create an emission friendly tune?...

Cat to pass emissions. TBH never really used the other way, and am new to south wales so don't know any happy go lucky mot testers.....

Emissions annoy me, completely agree on the mot fails that means my vehicle is dangerous, but I would do more harm to the environment buying a new car than keeping going with an older car that isn't as efficient.....

Edited by digs

my mot guy is brill.......................because i dont used the beams alot, he had to warm it up for 10mins to fly through the missions.

He told me most garges would charge me approx £30 just to warm it up but say they had to adjust parts of the car to justify the cost :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.