Noob gen 7 190 questions

So as i no longer have a 140 for...ahem... unforeseen circumstances ;) I am now looking for another car (or atleast when i get my cheque from insurers) and i was wondering if i could get some info?

I loved my 140 but i always felt like it needed a wee bit more pull, just a wee bit :) but i literally have no clue what the difference's are except for lift and that preface 190's don't have the oil burning issue. For instance are the 190's noticeably better in the mid-ranges? Also is the fuel consumption worse?

Thanks in advance :)

From what I understand, the Fuel Consumption isn't that much different 1-3mpg perhaps? But depends how to drive it. I also think they are effectively the same engine until 6200rpm when the higher lift cams engage. Effectively you have the same mid-range unless you put stage 2 cams in.

However I own a 140 so that's only from information I have read and should be taken with a pinch of salt, i'm sure someone will be along to confirm or deny :)

Well celicaben190 should be able to answer your questions as he has just made the very same move.

I have never driven a 140 so not really sure but I think one of the main differences is the gearing. It's a bit shorter and more aggressive in the 190 which will probably make it feel quicker even before lift kicks in.

Sorry to hear about your mishap mate but maybe it's your chance to get into a 190 if the insurance is doable. I love driving mine and lift is an absolute blast.

As for mpg it depends how you drive really. I average around 32mpg with occasional use of lift but have seen up to 37mpg. Funny thing I have noticed is that my mpg is worse if I do a lot of motorway driving rather than just using A roads and town use. I always thought it would be the other way round but maybe it's because the revs are quite high at motorway speeds?

It is totally different - how the car should be i think, especially after owning a 140 for 5 years! it pulls better in all gears and then......there is lift.....makes you smile ever single time! The 140 felt sluggish and slow to rev, the 190 freely revs.

MPG is not much different to be honest, unless you hit lift loads. However, my 140 is up for sale... with a few mods. Though i have a member interested at the moment

You will definitely feel the diff. Between the Two as one being on a higher Rev with shorter gear ratio making it feel so responsive and the other having longer gear ratio and makes Your fuel consumption more eco. Specially when at speed limit cruise on A motorway... Unless You drive a JDM 190 with a diff gear ratio as well...

I thought my 140 pulled like a train (Even against ST170) until I sat in the passenger seat of Cravo's 190. Now mine feels slow and is up for sale in hopes to find a 190 decent enough to replace it. :)

I do not know the family history of the 140 engine as I have yet to see it posted in a reply to this type of question. Suffice to say I am content to know the 190 is the basis of what goes in the Lotus Elise. The Gen 7 being much heavier isn't going to get anywhere near one due to bhp/tonne ratio, but it's a good heritage. Toyota/Yamaha gem. According to most stats I have seen to 0-62 on a 140 is around 8.5 and the 190 is around 7.2. Top speed not THAT high 140 ish. Like 99% of us are actually going to find out? You have 6 gears to choose from. Firt to 40, second to 60 3 rd to 80 4th to being banned! There's plenty of power for everyday driving esp when you learn where the lift is and that's just practice practice practice. ;) Economy is similar until it switches cams at 6200 and then it gets thristy. So name me a car that doesn't drink a bit when your right foot is in the carpet? With this little beaut at least you have the choice. Neither engines have a fat lot of torque. They were not designed as caravan pullers. They are revvy little 1800's with all but the early 140 being engineered to last for ages even if you give em the beans. There are gear ratio differences and I THINK it was with the TSport that the upgrades like Traction control came in which for most of us not related to the Stig makes rapid progress smoother and less tyre wearing ( the track guys are all now making strange wrist movements at their screens ;) I honestly don't care I bought my car for me and I adore it).

If you look at the torque curves it does go a little flat around 5 hence the best mod in the real world is the stage 2 cams to improve the pre lift range generally but at around 600 most of us just put up with it, oh the shame of it! But then you don't get the shove in the back as you DO hit 6200 and that's half the fun, getting into the lift and staying there whilst hanging onto your seats, and licence.

Edited by daytona

I thought my 140 pulled like a train (Even against ST170) until I sat in the passenger seat of Cravo's 190. Now mine feels slow and is up for sale in hopes to find a 190 decent enough to replace it. :)

Just wait till you get in the faff mate :lol:

On topic

The 190 does pull better throughout the rev range and the gear ratios are slightly different. IIRC the 140 sat nicely at 60mph in 6th around the 1500 rpm mark wheras the 190 was closer to 2000 rpm maybe just over.

Other than that pretty much the same car chassis, body, interior wise with a few extras but nothing you cannot retrofit. If you can stretch to a facelift T Sport you do get 17 inch alloys, spoiler and better leather interior as well as the darker dashboard. Again nothing you cannot retrofit if you wanted to.

Thanks for the advice guys, and i totally agree there's nothing wrong with the 140's power but i just felt it needed lift for *womp* factor lol Unfortunately a Tsport is pretty much off the cards due to insurance companies having a fit about a 21 year old who just wrote of his 140 getting a 190 lol, saying that preface 190's aren't bad for insurance... Only thing i dont like about preface is the grey dash but as you said it can be changed as a nice little weekend project :)

My quest for another Celi continues!

You mean Cravo's that pulled mid 150's on the dyno :lol:

You mean Cravo's that pulled mid 150's on the dyno :lol:

:lol: mid 140's matey

But that was before I changed the air filter (full of crap and straw :blink: ) spark plugs (knackered) maf and put a straight through decatted zorst on :thumbs:

Pulled like a beaver then Jeff

Well Amy's kitted up 190 thunder grey preface lift is up for sale right now. PM me for details if interested

Also anyone who says they are the same car while under lift clearly doesn't know what they are on about. Two totally different engines, gearboxes and driving experience. The 190 is how it should have been all along. With a top level turbo 4x4 like the rest. Now that is how it should have been done! :lol:

I could de mod, or swap out the kit for your stock bumpers if needs be.

splinters right , i testdrove a 140 when i was looking at buying one , i still found it was a great car but it wasnt a 190 and thats what i really wanted so i waited and got lucky with a tsport (im not a turbo man anyway as i know you have to have money incase of anything going wrong so thats why a 190 was to be my chosen choice and for my lifestyle it clearly fits the bill.

i found by taking out the butterfly attachement in the airbox gave the car a much better awesome sound in lift as well as lower rpms and i still have to accompany it with a nice exhaust next year and a panel filter to fully compliment it but i do love the 7gen tsport and i used to drive a 2.5 v6 vx and so far 6 mths later im still smiling also regards to fuel i did a test for one tank of fuel and did 295miles until the petrol light came on today and that was a bit of motorway miles, normal urban roads and of course lift now i think thats not too bad considering i didnt drive like miss daisy and one word go for the 190 if your looking for a non turbo celica

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.