Cravo is moving to the dark side - Formerly Tentative Interest Thread

Cravo

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm I'd say if you want a gt4 then get one that doesn't have replica parts also buy a stock one as then you can change things to your taste rather than having one already done. Be aware and I'm sure Tom has already said this. Just because it has some cool toys on it doesn't mean it actually works better for it. I have seen some gt4's about and they've spent thousands on fmic kits and bigger turbos all to have shiny bling which has been for nothing. I would suggest having a word with Simon at YVS as he may know of a few that are forsale.

I sent this in the message to reply to what you said but I'll put it here so if other people have an opinion on it that they can say and talk you into the GT4 :lol: (I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to make sure you make the right choice for the right reasons).

I think you may end up regretting it. Your going to switch cars purely because you fancy a change and are jumping into it really quick. It went from wanting a supra because they where your dream car to wanting anything else and now you've been out in it you really fancy it.

From you saying you really weren't interested in more power as you drive like a grandad and do really short trips to wanting to go for it and adjust the boost to run it at 300bhp....

I did the same thing when I got the mini. Drop in a 17" reduction pulley, cai and exhaust and of be pushing 240bhp.

Just seems like you couldn't think of anything else to do to yours so wanted to sell to keep busy. I'm not saying that's wrong as I did the same thing, but I did regret it.

And don't forget, your haven't even got the car yet and your talking about going the expensive route with engine modifications and dropping in bucket seats.

The reason I didn't go for one is (like most cars I looked at from the focus st, BMW z4, civic type r, gt4) was because the interior was either not nice to look at or really dated. Unfortunately it falls into the really dated look for me. It would take some serious cash to get it looking right.

Then you've got the increased cost of running and older car with turbos, more petrol if your doing long runs and possibly more to insure (especially if you mention your adjusting the boost).

I have to admit that they are nice looking cars from the outside, inside I'm not a fan, but make sure your reasoning for getting it is right. Your swapping from a car that you have as you want with only expensive mods to do. To a car that is gunna need all the little bits doing to it (eg you'll end up wanting to switch the alloys, exterior body mods, tints, interior, head unit, dials, seats) AND want to start on engine mods as well. Could end up being even more costly than the 7.

At least your keeping it a celica but I'm just trying to make you think again as this is the exact reason I swapped to a mini and regretted it :)

Cheers Steve, I would want one with original parts and I am not overly fussed about any mechanical mods, except a dump valve of course, got to love a dump valve :D If you wouldnt mind asking Simon for me that would be great fella thanks.

Mike, again mate I totally get what you're saying, the interior is definitely not up to the standard of the gen 7 and it is something I would be looking to have a look at pretty much straight away, one of the first things I would do definitely. The thing is I have had 2 gen 7's now a 140 and a 190. I love my 7 dont get me wrong but when you get that itch to look elsewhere you know its kind of the time to be going.

The Supra is a beautiful machine and if it was 4wd it would be a much easier choice. The RWD element worries me on the Supra quite a bit and after driving the faff and how it feels, handling is epic trust me makes mine feel like its going to roll over and usually mine feels like its sticking to the road. I know I have said I am not a power monger but I would want to go backwards in power than the 190 and I love being part of this club fully :5grouphug:

If I keep the 7 I will want to blow big money. Stage 2 cams, BBK, White wrap or respray, coilovers, strut braces all round and all that we are looking at near on £3k for top notch stuff. And I will still only have about 180-190bhp wheras in the faff I will have about 260-300 with a variable boost controller if i wanted to for £50 or so according to Tom.

And I can only fit 4 people in the 7, Me, Our lass and 3 kids doesnt go into 4 :lol: the faff has 5 seats so would cover that base aswell. We had an arrangement with our lasses mum to borrow her car if needs be and I would have done it if we had to but you know wouldnt you rather not have that hassle if you can avoid it :)

What I wont be doing is going for power mods or massive engine mods, the stock WRC has plenty for what I want one for. I drive 6 miles a day to work and back and dont really go all that far at the weekends as our lass works most weekends. So running costs would be a little higher but not cripplingly more so. Insurance would be about the same, Road Tax is cheaper than the 7 as it falls under the old taxing system being pre 2001.

As long as the fig 8's and super strut has been replaced then I am happy, according to Tom, so this could be his view on it only as long as the engine has been well maintained then it should go forever so I would be happier with a stock engined WRC if I could find one in budget but more importantly one that has been well looked after so one off here or the GT4OC would be ideal. And I am in no massive rush

I know it is a risk but I am at a point now where I would like an upgrade. I have had to explain all this to our lass aswell :lol: she understands now and I suppose If I was explaining this face to face with everyone they would get it a bit more cos "on paper" I can see how this just comes across as finding excuses. I wont be the first 7 to GT4 member on here and as far as I can tell not one of them regrets it :)

Yes the stock seats in the 6 are crap but for me the 7 ones are not much better and dont hold you properly during spirited driving.

However the 7 is more modern inside but it is a generation on from the 6.

The 6 has better materials and build inside but it is a ocean of black but it doesnt cost ££££ to sort out.

Clocks from mook £90

Bit of hexis wrap for the dash bits - not that much

Set of 2nd hand recaro or similar - max £500

subframes from nzkw on ebay £150 pair

so whilst not exactly cheap its not going to cost thousands.

Yes if you want mondo to add his magic it will add up but quality costs

This is what you want to aim for with a white 205

white205greenwheels.jpg

white205.jpg

And from stock can that be done with the following?

Clocks from mook £90

? :lol:

Arent those headlights about £300+ alone? :lol:

And this is what a set of clocks and touches like handbrake / gearknob and leather gaitors can make along with better seats

020.jpg

And you could find one with recaros as standard

headlight006.jpg

And from stock can that be done with the following?

Clocks from mook £90

? :lol:

Arent those headlights about £300+ alone? :lol:

ive not mentioned headlights in my list - my list refers to bits to brighten up the interior

Yes it does have projector lights but i meant in overall appearence with the alloys , carbon touches ect.

Now these might not be to everyones tastes but if i was after or had a white 205 thats how id want it to look.

Yes projector lights are around £300 - usually more on here - but literally the difference between them & stock is like night and day.

If anyone is wanting some there are some members on other forums from ireland who say they can source them for 300 euros.

Obviously there is jimmy's , marks , ferdy's & toms to take inspiration from if you go white.

Put up a wanted ad - not everyone will read this but if they know you want a white 205 then people who are considering selling will pipe up

Tom Brady is looking into making the headlight projector lenses for a lot less than those and I have seen the initial moulds and they look good :thumbs:

I have a budget of around £3k with some left for modding. Clocks and centre console would take up a portion of that, I am aiming for £4k for mine which leaves plenty for small mods (and some decorating for the house - our lasses orders :lol: ) Ideally would like a private plate but it is not absolutely vital but would be nice.

That white ST205 is the exact look I am hoping for (minus the green wheels :lol: )

Got to say Toms seats were a lot comfier than mine and the ride comfort was an improvement as well if I am totally honest.

Exterior wise the two above do look nice but as personal taste I'd go gun metal on the wheels :)

But I do reckon you'll end up spending more money than you planned on spending on the 7 :lol:

If its what you want then go for it - I'm not saying dont as it is a nice car, and faster. But you sound like you're trying to justify it ;):lol:

I did the same with the mini and it felt right at the time. I just wish I'd never sold. Well. Actually glad I did as I prefer the thunder grey to storm blue now (but then I have to say that :lol: )

Anyway. If its what you want and you've made your mind up then go for it. I agree that the ride comfort will probably be better than the 7, and the handling will be miles better due to the 4wd system.

Just wondering but how do turbos handle very short journeys? I'm not saying they dont but just making sure if you're only doing 3-4 miles to work and back then its something to think about? I'm sure they'll be fine just thinking.

Oh and dont say you cant go "back in power" as what will happen after the gt4? :lol: You'll need to spend more money on a bigger bhp faster car and theirs only so far you can go with that.

I learned from the mini its not all just about handling and speed. the mini stuck to the road like glue and was nippy as anything. But. Just wasnt the same as the 7. Though switching to another celica is always going to be different :)

If you are doing short journeys don't drive on boost and its fine.

Let the car warm up/cool down properly.

I though if you haven't been on boost then that isn't so much of a concern.

Some on autotrader

silver one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304046094874/sort/default/usedcars/model/celica/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/keywords/gt4/radius/1500/page/1/postcode/gu112en?logcode=p

silver one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304076145740/sort/default/usedcars/model/celica/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/page/1/keywords/turbo/postcode/gu112en?logcode=p

expensive uk red one

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201304146268044/sort/default/usedcars/model/celica/make/toyota/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/radius/1500/page/1/keywords/turbo/postcode/gu112en?logcode=p

Ebay ones

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-GT-four-GT4-Turbo-2-0-litre-4WD-UK-spec-ST205-/121092685060?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c31afbd04

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-Gt4-st205-300bhp-/121095489689?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c31da8899

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-GT4-ST205-/321105974458?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac36854ba

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-GT-Four-GT4-ST205-1995-JDM-/221214150209?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3381640e41

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-GT-4-WRC-/161007462992?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item257ccaea50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1995-CELICA-ST205-GT4-TURBO-/230960191655?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item35c64cd8a7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Celica-GT4-/121093714748?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c31bf733c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-GT-4-CELICA-GT-FOUR-ST205-SILVER-1994-WRC-TOYOTA-CELICA-/121088671911?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item1c317280a7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-CELICA-GT4-4-WHEEL-DRIVE-TWIN-ENTRY-TURBO-/321096832114?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac2dcd472

Guest MR JDM

Nice one buddy come to the dark side ... We have cookies :P

I must be one of the only people on this planet who isn't so keen on white ST205's, They're awesome cars to look at etc I just can't get over the front grille it just looks out of place in my humble opinion. If I were to buy one it'd have to be black as it covers the grille more.

Mind you I'm comfortale in my 6 GT at the moment so nothing to worry about for now :D

Either way I'm glad you're looking at a Faff instead :)

Derren was right about whether you like the styling of the 6. As a 6 owner I'll happily admit the front is very much marmite but the back end looks awesome when tweaked a tad (late spec rears etc)

As Johnyboy said though gen 7 seats in a 6 look nice but if you're going to drive it hard then it's not advised as there's no side support at all :(

Either way hope you find what you're looking for soon :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.