Violent Judder

Parafuso

My car developed a judder yesterday after 10 mins of driving oingg to work.

The steerin wheel started to shake and there was a slight knocking,. I slowed down and it went away.

But last night on the way home the same thin happened but more violent and whn I braked it seemed to get worse.

Had to crawl home at 20mph for the last mile.

It felt like the wheel was loose, but when I checked everything seemed to be in place and correctly bolted.

Seems to happen after something is warmed up, Any Ideas?

Could be any one of your steering/suspension/driveshaft components. Or a wheel out of balance. Best get it up on a ramp for a proper check-up.

Also, at this time of year, I often find a build up of snow/ice on the inside of my wheels. Feels like an out-of-balance wheel, but a lot cheaper to fix!

definately a steering problem, car keeps wanting to pull off to the left, it keeps snatching and pulling to the left and does not want to steer to the right.

when parked I can steer right but wont let me steer to the left and the power steering squeels.

Checked yer power steering pump, fluid level and belt?

I seem to remember a simlar kind of thing I had on a car once and it turned out one of my engine mounts had perished - the engine was hanging down and sitting on the driveshaft or something nice like that! :lol:

Garage time, I reckon. Most likely some kind of bush or balljoint problem (track-rod end?), but could be a buggered steering rack, even.

Cheers Angus

belt is squeeling, needs replacing just never ggot round to it.

Fluid level in pump is ok and you can see it swilling round in the resevoir, even though a bit slowly.

Garage is picking it up in morning as it undrivable.

Just hope its not the steering rack!!!!

I think its definately a front end problem.

The steering wheel is wobbling as its constantly tugging to the left and then lets go every second it feels like, almost rotational.

when I parked it up with the engine running I tried to move the steering wheel to the left, it was heavy almost solid, moved it a quater of a turn with all my strength, but the front wheels didn't budge a millimeter.

turned the steering wheel right, wheels moved a couple of inches before the power steering started to squeal

Going by your first post i would have said a ball joint or something on that area of the track rod had obliterated itself,but the fact you havent been able to turn the wheel properly at all is worrying Darren i have to admit.I hope it can be sorted ok mate :(

Going by your first post i would have said a ball joint or something on that area of the track rod had obliterated itself,but the fact you havent been able to turn the wheel properly at all is worrying Darren i have to admit.I hope it can be sorted ok mate :(

Bit worried myself Derren, the cost of the repair could be more than the cars worth :cry:

Bit worried myself Derren, the cost of the repair could be more than the cars worth :cry:

A new set of brakes and tyres is usually more than an average gen4 is worth these days LOL.Hopefully it isnt anything too drastic mate.Let us know what the score is,and then if you find its a bigger problem than you anticipated we can work on getting it sorted

Had this on an old Cavalier I used to have, turned out to be a CV joint. Was terrifying when doing motorway speeds and the steering wheel suddenly tried to pull out of my hands. Slowed to around 30 on a slip road and it went away!

Sounds the same to me!

Had this on an old Cavalier I used to have, turned out to be a CV joint. Was terrifying when doing motorway speeds and the steering wheel suddenly tried to pull out of my hands. Slowed to around 30 on a slip road and it went away!

Sounds the same to me!

Think you right mate.

Just had me mate round(ex mechanic) reckons the CV joint has collapsed in on itself.

turned the wheels and the was a massive clunk from the centre of the front left wheels. He did a couple of tests with the clutch putting pressure on the joint to make it click, but 99.9999% sure its CV joint.

Spoke to Trevor at TCB parts and he was stumped, never heard of the problem.

off to get CV joint

Edited by Parafuso

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.