Temperature Gauge Issue

Devious

Got an interesting, and slightly quizzical question. I just noticed that my Temp Gauge was reading Zero even though id been out for a spirited drive.Oh bugger, thinks I, I must have a leak, so I pulled up at home. (Only noticed as I was pulling onto my road) Anyway, turned it off, popped the bonet and no obvious signs of leaks. As the engine was HOT I didn't pop the rad cap off as I didn't fancy a facial.Its raining so i figured id sit in the car and have a fag whilst it cooled down.I flicked the ignition on and the temp started to rise. Turned it over and the temp dropped as soon as the engine was running.Any ideas as to what might be causing it?

I'd also check the wire to the temp sensor is secure. I'm not 100% where it is on a Gen 5, probably on the head somewhere, it will have a single wire going to it.

A sudden loss of temperature on the gauge will generally only occur if the signal is lost or a big air bubble comes and sits over it.

Thermostat symptoms tend to be variation of temperature with revs if it's stuck open (increased revs = temp reduction), if it's stuck closed then the temp will just go up as you run the car.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.