Repainting callipers

Hi guys. I painted the callipers a while ago, but with the crappy pads on before there was a lot of dust and its slowly built back up. So will be looking to repaint them. At the moment theyre painted red but im thinking of changing colour.

IMAG0165.jpg

I know that a lot of ferraris that are red have yellow callipers and the yellow ones have red. So just wondering if anyone has a pic of a chilli red with yellow callipers or could photoshop the above pic

Cheers

Alex

I have a chilli with a gun metal colour calipers, looks alright to me.

I did consider yellow but I thought the Ferrari look might of gained me a bit of stick, I think a nice cobalt blue would look cool though.

Would go red if your wanting to stand out.

Just a quick one though while we are on the subject. Can you paint them while still on the disc and what do you prep them with before your base coat?

Would go red if your wanting to stand out.

Just a quick one though while we are on the subject. Can you paint them while still on the disc and what do you prep them with before your base coat?

Hmmm undecided now lol.

Youre supposed to paint them whilst off the car completely. But when i did it on my grande punto and the 1st time on the celica i just left them on the car...just jacked up with the wheel off, didnt bother fannying around taking them off etc :)

Take the calipers off if you're using an aerosol paint for definite, if you're using a brush and a tin then leave them in situ its fine. Have you tried to steam clean the calipers to lift all the crap off?

With the metal so uneven on calipers prep gently with scotch brite and clean the caliper thoroughly - again a hand held steam cleaner is invaluable.

use a paint stripper from B&Q, strips all the old paint off, just leave it on overnight, may have to give it 2 coats, wash off with a power washer, clean with brake cleaner and paint with a brush.

IMG_0137.JPG

easy job.

as for colour, black, silver or gold

If you're set on painting them I think red is still gonna be best. As said above you're more likely to get negative ferrari-fake comments with yellow. Personally I don't want to draw attention to my little discs!

Personally I don't want to draw attention to my little discs!

Indeed, since fitting 17's with quite a narrow 5 spoke design my car has suffered from "Little brake syndrome" so painting the calipers a bright colour would only add to the undesired effect.

Paint stripper that I used does not affect anything but the paint, it's just brushed on the painted metal area and is very thick and sticky, does not run at all.

It's also not hazardous so just washed off. Callipers now repainted and brakes fine.

If you do not want to draw attention to your small discs then dark grey metallic or black in my view.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.