Dealers: When do u go to them?

Just for parts and thats it..service and repair my own car..

U mean its still cheaper and better to get original Toyota parts?

Rather than OEM parts?

Can I ask what parts have u got in the past? :please:

U mean its still cheaper and better to get original Toyota parts?

Rather than OEM parts?

Can I ask what parts have u got in the past? :please:

Rocker cover gaskets(don't trust ebay ones) /airfilter /oil filter ..

Interesting....I thought most people would just either get cheaper parts (unbranded) or more expensive parts( K&N, Green, ALD etc) for such filters etc?

....unless dealer parts are already same price as aftermarket cheaper parts.. :thumbs:

But for more complicated parts then dealers.....

Some things will be better than after market. The fittings will be more accurate and they'll last a touch longer, but it's not always the case. I had a load of problems with Toyota brake discs, took them back, they skimmed them but problem still there. Got aftermarket ones now and they 've been trouble free since.

Some things will be better than after market. The fittings will be more accurate and they'll last a touch longer, but it's not always the case. I had a load of problems with Toyota brake discs, took them back, they skimmed them but problem still there. Got aftermarket ones now and they 've been trouble free since.

Thks Steve!

Good to kno.

Both my RED and Scooby brakes squel like mad...

Mite ned thm skimmin one day.....£££££ :-(

I go there at Christmas, sometimes get a t shirt, sometimes a diary.

:)

Only go there for parts.

Sometimes they are cheaper than aftermarket.

Or the difference in price between genuine and pattern is small.

I only go when I am completely stuck in finding a part, or sometimes the smaller parts like wheels studs, Here is an example of my local dealer...

Get a letter through the post, '65k service is due, this we estimate will be £120' So I think to myself this isnt so shabby, its gonna cost me atleast 80 quid in oil and spark plugs + other bits and to save the hassle of doing it myself and getting a genuine toyota service stamp I thought it cant be argued, so I phone them up, and the quote then changes to £400...

That 400 covered:

Oil change - New sump plug washer is extra.

Oil filter.

Air filter - Although I have an AEM CAI they still insisted they would replace it ?

New spark plugs, costing 20 quid each <---- wtf ?

'check' the coolant levels etc etc.

'check' my tyres discs and pads

and a 4 point visual safety check to ensure the car is still safe ? I am guessing this is incase I somehow lose an A pillar or something ?

Regardless, I did the service myself, for a Grand total of £80 and just signed the book off myself.

I know dealers are franchises so they are not all the same, but my local is a con artist :(

99.9% of the time I will do all my own servicing and repairs to my own car, peace of mind its done properly :)

Edited by RoryK

yep... done my own service aswell.. £30 spark plugs, £10 toyota filter, £20 engine oil, filter wrench £5, £35 k&n filter... and 45mins of time. much prefer servicing my own car,, know i will do a proper job, the only annoying thing is that the underpanel is pretty difficult to take off (the previous owner uses screws but without the plastic cap on so the screws were rusted). and engine oil leaked all over the floor.. missus weren't too happy with that...

the only thing i would recommend getting dealer to do is the aircon in this current weather.!

Have to say, after folks mentioning the service book...

I have bought and sold a lot of ncars in the last ten years and

there aren't many folks that I have come across walk away because the service history isn't there.

Having said that there are probably a few that would have liked to have known the service was done.

For me, proof of purchase is enough for that.

Full service history and "stamped up book" tends to mean less than it once did.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.