Starter Sticking (I Think)

Hi everyone.Just tried starting my gen 6 and I think the starter is sticking as it was just clicking when turning the key but now there is nothing.Battery is fully charged,Was just wondering if I could try and bump it off as it is an automatic?

Tried rocking it in drive to loosen the starter but to no avail.

Cheers Shaun

You sure its the starter?

Reason i ask is that i had an auto once, not a celica

but it did the same thing and it was a sensor that had failed, which made it think that the car was in drive and therefore wouldnt start - i'm pretty sure it made the same clicking noise as you describe

Before it failed completely it would do this and if i moved the shift up and down from park to drive and back a couple or so times it would fix itself

then i had the sensor on the gearbox removed as it was a pain, just meant that it lost the safety thing of not being able to be started in drive

Edited by arizona

No it shouldnt start in anything other than park anyway, running it up and down and then back to park was what used to make it work

but it sounds like its the starter is knackered then :(

Nix will likely have one

Nooooooooooooo dont bump an auto it wont turnover in anything other than park or neutral anyway.

Get a mate to tap it with hammer while you try and start it at the same time, its happened to me on the last 3 Celicas, if that dont work then go with what Princy said

Edited by Ghoulscout

Hi Shaun, if you put a jumper cable straight to the starter (bypassing the solenoid) then it should spin but not engage if the motor is ok. If you put a jumper to the solenoid (small terminal, not the big battery cable) it should click, but if it's not spinning at this point it may be the contacts in the solenoid as already suggested. So, if you need the car running, use the jumper cables to engage it then spin it, but make sure it's not in gear when you do it because you will be bypassing the inhibitor. Also worth checking earths as bad connections can cause the same symptoms, try a jump lead from somewhere on the engine block near the starter back to the battery negative. If it is the contacts in the solenoid it can usually be sorted by cleaning them up with emery/sandpaper, never done a Toyota one myself but have stripped a number of other starter motors and solenoids, fiddly job but not rocket science.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.