Engine Oil suddenly disappeared!

For the past few days I've been driving around with no Radio on, listening to a slight change in my engine tone. I noticed a kind of rattle sound between 2-3000 rpm.

So in the back of my mind I'm thinking - well I checked my oil a few weeks ago so must be something else. maybe a plug, lose engine mount or heatsheild...

Last night I decided to check my oil and to my suprise my dip stick was BONE DRY! must have been around 4-5 weeks ago I checked it and it was near the max mark on the dipstick.

Also, there are no signs of leakage as my car sits in the same place every day on my driveway. No oil on the drive to even suspect a leak.

Also, in order to find out what Oil I needed I checked my last MOT and Service certificates, which was done on the same day in Oct 2011 - 7 months ago by a Nissan Dealer where I bought the car.

It shows on my service they changed the oil and charged me for it. Now I'm thinking, did they really change it!

When I get home I'm going to check under the car as it should still be quite light, last night was too dark to check anything.

I just find this very strange as I have a 2003 Facelift Gen 7. so surely I should not suffer from any oil issues regarding my engine like on the Pre-Facelift engines.

Needless to say I'll make sure to check my oil more regular. I put about 2 and a half Ltrs in yesterday went for a drive and that 'rattle' noise at 2-3000 rpm has gone. I hope I've not done any damage, I find myself luck that I noticed the change in my engine sound, as I said to Mikey & Liam last night... If I had a exhuast system I probably wouldnt have noticed this rattle sound!

i hope you haven't done any major damage, as a preface owner i got in to the habit of regularly checking mine ever week and before long journeys.

i think this isn't the first thread about a facelift engine burning oil though, if that is what it is doing. check the exhaust pipe, is it black and oily coloured?

Not good at all pal, good call though & really hope you've not done any damage. Did the 2.5 litres you put in bring it back upto max?

The 2.5 litres put me a few mm under the Max mark. I didnt want put too much in, as I dont know how much oil could be sitting below where your dip stick reaches.

i hope you haven't done any major damage, as a preface owner i got in to the habit of regularly checking mine ever week and before long journeys.

i think this isn't the first thread about a facelift engine burning oil though, if that is what it is doing. check the exhaust pipe, is it black and oily coloured?

I'll check the exhaust pipe later, take a pic and take some opinions on here. I also recoded the engine noise before I filled up. I'll see if I can upload and post on here for you to see.

I also hope I have not done any internal damage. at the moment I'm glad the noise has gone with the fill up of oil.

also for reference I used 5W40 Fully Synth Oil.

The 2.5 litres put me a few mm under the Max mark. I didnt want put too much in, as I dont know how much oil could be sitting below where your dip stick reaches.

I think the 1zz takes 4.2 litres so in theory you had just under 2litres left. Not brilliant, but worlds apart from having next to nothing in there! I think you'll be ok matey, just drop what's in there at the mo, check it for any debris & do a full oil & filter change.

I think the 1zz takes 4.2 litres so in theory you had just under 2litres left. Not brilliant, but worlds apart from having next to nothing in there! I think you'll be ok matey, just drop what's in there at the mo, check it for any debris & do a full oil & filter change.

Pretty sound advice. It's got to be worth checking for peace of mind. Oil and filter change is more than achievable yourself with basic tools and you'll have a chance to gauge what's going on with the oil. Hoepfully no damage done but better safe than sorry.

Yeah although mines an early 2003 Facelift I never suspected it to be suffering from what we class as a pre-facelift only issue. Its not like our cars are unique and not amune to other contributing factors of engine issues.

I'll have a good look at it after work today.

also, I never noticed any performance/running issues when I could hear this 'rattle' sound. my car was still just as slow as normal haha!

Edited by Scott Baker

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.