Beware the Gritter scourge!

Don’t get me wrong, I know we need them at this time of year but…

Driving home late last night I had to overtake one on the dual carriageway that was pumping out at a phenomenal rate of speed. Far faster than I think they are supposed to! Anyway this morning I pop the bonnet and find that every nook and cranny is filled with piles of pure salt crystals, which if memory serves is nice and corrosive :angry: To say nothing for the state the nose of the car is now in as well!

I’ve honestly never seen anything like it. I can only assume that as I passed him the angle of his spreader shot it straight in through the front grill :o Bloody stuff had even got up inside the air intake as the air box was full of it too, though thankfully the filter was intacked.

So for the sake of getting home 10 mins quicker I’ve ended up with a good hours work this morning trying to clear out the engine bay. Though there is still plenty of it under there that I just can’t get at and a hefty amount stuck in-between all the little veins of the radiator!!! :(

Next time I see a gritter I shall be staying well back from them and waiting for them to turn off.

:blowup:

Know what you meen mate a pain in the arse but like you said we do need them . It's snowing hear and sticking well ,

I think the faster the truck is moving the faster the grit comes out to cover the area traveled . Think that's how it works

Eek!!! maybe you can get some blowing instrument (maybe a hairdryer or leafblower?) and blow some of the bits out? Someone flashed to let me out yesterday but in front was a gritter so I had to just pretend I wasnt paying attention as didnt want to be behind it lol!

Mate i feel your pain. Coming back from a nice weekend away i passed a gritter on the motorway and it wasn't til a couple of days ago I've noticed its near enough sand blasted the two front splitters that tom had put on. Now gotta get them sprayed again.

I followed a gritter for about 10 mins this morning in the van and when I got home it looked like somebody had jizzed all over the back and sides, white salt all over.

but, i have a perfect solution to your salty airbox, nice shot of tequila and a slice of lime.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.