Rotary polisher

Don't be a pussy Looney! All I did was ten minutes worth of reading and then thought fuck it, nothing beats having a go...and did it. No burns, no marring, no holograms, just a super shiny paint job devoid of any swirls.

You really, really, REALLY need to push down hard or be an absolute weapon to burn paint...trust me, watch any video of someone demoing a burn and they hoof their whole weight down on the polisher. You don't need to push down, you just let it do its job while directing it with the trigger end, not the handle.

Curves on the Celica are irrelevant, they're nowhere near bending enough to cause issues. Just don't bother using the polisher on the lower part of the front and rear bumper, do those by hand. Least noticeable part of the car anyway.

If I'd give one tip, keep the polisher head nice and wet, so it doesn't grab or burn the paint and WEAR WATERPROOFS, you may look a bit daft but a wet polisher head spinning at 2-3000 rpm will spray water and compound everywhere!!! I wear an old waterproof jacket and trousers and work boots and by the end I have more on me than the car!!!

If polish is splatting, you're doing one of the following:

1. using WAY too much product

2. turning the polisher on before it's in contact with the paint

3. turning the polisher on at too high an RPM

You can stop this by:

1. not using more than an 'X' shaped amount of product, semi thick line crossed in the missle...hence the X

2. put the polisher pad on the paint with the product, spread the product around

3. do what's meant to be done, turn the polisher on, with pad flat against the paint, without any downward pressure on the lowest rpm..this should be about 600rpm. RPM is used to measure amount of work it's doing. low = spreading product. medium = polishing/light correction, high = heavy correction...i.e scratches, water marks, heavy swirls

4. you can also spread a single line of product (about 3 inches) and come at it with the polisher on a low rpm at an angle (45 degrees is best) and lower the polisher towards the end of the line.

I've not splattered myself once, must be way over doing it! Also not had to keep the pad wet.

Oh and another thing, mask off corners properly...i.d the whole door handle, any rubbers, the edges of the bonnet, the windscreen washer jets, the bumper spoiler, the edges of the door...you get the point. You only need to mask off about 5mm or so (so open the car door and fold the tape under...lift the bonnet up and do the same...and so on)

Stops you lifting any weak paint or rust there may be knocking around those areas.

How fast to these things spin? I have a orbital festool that I bought special polishing pads for but its not the tool for the job its more of a sander..

I have two 4" angle grinders are there any adapters to fit or is that a bit pikey :lol:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.