MOT's and HID's

annibee

Hello everyone, not been around much as got a few things going on at the minute but hope you all had good christmas's and New years.

Anyway took Heidi up for her MOT yesterday which she passed and will be treated with a nice wash today :wub:

I asked about the HID's as I know we were discussing it a couple of months ago, my Mot'er said their fine, nothing about needing to be factory fitted as long as there not too bright (mine are 8k) I don't know if it'll be the same everywhere but just thought I'd share as I know a couple of us were wondering if there would be a problem

Hi there,being an Mot tester myself,all headlamps are treated the same,there is no way as a tester you know what bulbs are fitted#############

Sorry for the incorrect info I have given,forgot Mot law has changed on Jan 1st2012 to all Hid headlamps must have a washer and an auto adjuster.Reason for rejection.Washer not working and auto adjuster not working,heres is the BUT. It is understood the auto adjuster is a difficult item to tset therefore it must be given it does so that is a pass and advise,sorry for my earlier ramblings

Edited by mikhay77

I agree, with mots I've had a few fiestas with them in (they seem to be the worst) and the beams all over the place, I've failed them...but we get some in with HID's and there's all ok so I don't fail them

After the 100's of topics on here the answer seemed to be:

If you fit HID's and your car came with headlight washers as standard, they MUST work.... then you've passed.

If you fit HID's and your car DIDN'T come with washers as standard.... you've passed regardless.

All assuming beam pattern ect. is all fine.

Conclusion:

Don't worry!

rules changed for hid and led lamps this year ill find sum info on it.im also an mot tester.

• It is illegal for manufacturers to equip a new car with HID Xenon lights and not fit the lights with automatic self-levelling. The fact that the self levelling is often either too slow or fails is going to be a real problem because replacement HID Xenons are at least £400 a side even if bought directly from the manufacturers, and from £800 a side if bought from the car manufacturer's dealer.

All assuming beam pattern ect. is all fine.

That is the the big IF though, as i have said on numerous occasions, some of the cars round where i live have the worst aligned HID's i have ever seen, but they only get checked once a year, and if they fail they just stick the old bulbs in for the retest then switch straight back to HID's the next day

Aligning headlights at home isn't that straight forward

I know i keep banging on about it, but i suppose my biggest gripe is with the few who don't bother checking their alignment, and yes i know this can still happen with normal halogen bulbs, but badly aligned HID's are far worse than badly aligned halogens IMO

Thought I'd look at what the actual wording is and what official guidance has been given and dug this up - http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/technicalpenpicture3-lighting.pdf

The important extract is:

"Vehicles with HID headlamps are therefore required to have a headlamp washing system (a wiper is not required) and be self levelling, which may be achieved either by the use of either headlamp or suspension levelling systems.

The presence and operation of these headlamp cleaning and levelling devices has been added to the test. Therefore, if a mandatory headlamp levelling or cleaning device is missing, inoperative or otherwise obviously defective, the vehicle will fail.

The Department for Transport considers that after-market systems should be required to meet the same safety standards as that applied in respect of these lamps at vehicle Type Approval. Therefore, in order to pass the MOT test, vehicles fitted with after-market HID systems would also need to be fitted with headlamp cleaning and self-levelling systems.

It is also worthy of note that a few high performance vehicles fitted with HID headlamps that have barely any luggage space and stiff suspension do not require a self-levelling system."

So there looks like a get out of jail card for one element at least.

Summary changes are listed here:

amendments

Another one to get us will be the fact the a missing cat is a fail item.

There's some debate whether this is an issue if you have swapped driver's seat rails for fixed ones - Seats are now covered in sub-section ‘A’ and there are a couple of additional checks to be made. Firstly, it will be necessary to check that the driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism can be secured in the selected positions. There is no requirement to check all, or even several possible positions, just that the two or three selected secure the seat as intended. On electrically operated mechanisms, simply that the motor moves the seat back and forth

will suffice.

Changed your steering wheel on one originally with airbags - Checks of airbags will apply to all airbags fitted as original equipment, regardless of their location, and a vehicle will fail if any airbag is obviously missing or defective.

Before the days of MOT Computerisation, many testers incorrectly failed steering and suspension ball joints if the dust cover was split or missing. Well now they will be able to correctly fail them as the Directive requires that these are now included in the test; therefore if a ball joint dust cover is missing or no longer prevents the ingress of dirt etc. it will be a Reason for Rejection (RfR).

Rear drive shafts, where they form part of the suspension, were already testable items, but as a result of the Directive there are now some additional checks. Drive shaft support bearings, where fitted, must now be checked for excessive wear; additionally, drive shaft coupling gaiters missing, or in such a condition that they no longer prevent the ingress of dirt, also become Reasons for Rejection.

As for rear drive shafts that form part of the suspension, front drive shaft support bearings and inner coupling gaiters also become testable. The RfR wording for gaiters has also been changed to cover all aspects of the gaiter failing to prevent the ingress of dirt.

Front to rear propshafts still remain outside the scope of the test.

Smoked lens covered may now fail - Checking that lamps are in good condition is a familiar part of the test, but a new Reason for Rejection (RfR) has been added in respect to the lamps being visible from a reasonable distance. ‘Products on the lens or light source’ is now an RfR as well the previous ‘excessive damage or deterioration’. This new RfR also applies to the checks of all other lamps.

All visible electrical wiring must not be in such a condition that it is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short. Any bare wiring exposed due to damaged insulation will therefore be rejected.

If you tow - Trailer electrical sockets, where fitted, will need to be secure and not damaged to the extent that the plug could not be securely connected. An additional check of the connectivity of the wiring will apply to 13-pin trailer sockets.

This connectivity check will require an approved device to be plugged into the socket while the position lamps, stop lamps, rear fog lamp and direction indicators are operated. The device will show whether or not each system is wired as per the requirements and clearly any non-compliance will result a failure.

That is the the big IF though, as i have said on numerous occasions, some of the cars round where i live have the worst aligned HID's i have ever seen, but they only get checked once a year, and if they fail they just stick the old bulbs in for the retest then switch straight back to HID's the next day

Aligning headlights at home isn't that straight forward

I know i keep banging on about it, but i suppose my biggest gripe is with the few who don't bother checking their alignment, and yes i know this can still happen with normal halogen bulbs, but badly aligned HID's are far worse than badly aligned halogens IMO

I agreee, I changed my H7's to the nightbreakers and a few days later went to the local garage to get them realigned, and they were 98% perfect!? What are the chances :) He done a tiny adjustment and charged me nothing :)

The celica and bm have both had hids for the last 4 years, never been flashed at by passing traffic and passed mots with no problems, i would hate to go back to normal bulbs and struggle to see the road again

Wording of the MOT states if the washers/levellers are there, they must work. If they're not present, don't test them. So you won't fail an MOT for having HIDs with no washers/levellers.

The cat thing only applies to cars that qualify for the BET - I didn't notice the method of inspection notes til someone pointed them out to me :lol: - so older (<1992) cars can still pass fine with no cat; and there's still a few clauses for some later cars too. Some pre-1998 cars can still get away without an emissions test at all, aside from a visual smoke test.

Incidentally, I tried a set of Nightbreakers in the CZT the other day - very very disappointed, colour and output were the same as the basic (Halfords!) bulbs that were originally in there.

I've just come back from the garage a couple of doors down from where I work as I thought I might have to find another car (BRINKZ yeah you got me LOL)

However, it might have been a blessing in disguise, and ANYONE who has fitted HIDs needs to read this!

The MOT laws have been updated, and as from APRIL 2012 NO car can have HIDs fitted unless they meet the following criteria

1) They must be self levelling

2) They must have a WASH System fitted

3) They must met the UK Specifications for HIDs

If any of these are NOT met, its an automatic failure.

Also if your car was NOT fitted with HIDs as standard, or as an upgrade option, they could still fail you EVEN IF you meet the above criteria

This has apparently been done to stop the amount of HIDs being fitted without care or attention, and then these HIDs are have been known to cause serious and fatal accidents because of the brightness and adjustment being so off

Please feel free to check out the info I have posted, if anyone finds out anything different please post it, but the above I have just seen with my own eyes on an official MOT testing station wall, so i doubt its wrong!

Hopefully this post will have been of use ;)

no idea about whether it was in or not mate, maybe they have tightened the rules?

H7 Osram?

Need to find out what Brinkz has done to the Yellow Peril and whether its just a case of removing something simple to make them original again lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.