Head unit wiring issue. PLEASE HELP! (Before i smash up another pc)

Yeah, i was gonna leave these wires hangin, as i'll never get a camera (i'm a bloke, i know the dimensions of my car), and i figured the mute was for other equipment.

Thought i'd better check though given that one of the wires i'd planned to leave loose needs earthing.

Cheers Harwood, you've been mega helpful yet again! Keep rockin'!!!

From what Car Audio Centre said the Tsunami has affected the 3300BT stock aswell, everywhere is bumping up their prices now. I think they'll release a new model in March time anyway

As for fitting, did you guys use the cage that come with it or screw it down with the brackets already in the celica?

Car Audio Centre was the second place to let me down. Try to get me to have this instead:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=kenwood+ddx4028bt&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WWb&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1440&bih=779&tbm=isch&prmd=imvnsfd&tbnid=LAFPoicxAd5ETM:&imgrefurl=http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/multimedia/receivers/DDX4028BT/&docid=Z6aKm9Ziu_yBoM&imgurl=http://images.kenwood.eu/files/image/2057/8/original/DDX4028BT_iPod_GER.jpg&w=1024&h=640&ei=xFf2TtqaA4be8QP1zJShAQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=166&vpy=156&dur=1534&hovh=177&hovw=284&tx=157&ty=97&sig=116656427867171835291&page=1&tbnh=109&tbnw=175&start=0&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0

It's a nice unit, with a bigger screen. It doesn't have an SD card slot though, which is key for me. I also don't like the fact that it has a dial on it, ruining the flush look.

As for fitting i'm gonna use the celica brackets. I was gonna use the cage until today when i took out the stock head unit and decided it seems more simple and logical to use the stock brackets. Might just be the way i personally view it though.

Yeah just had another look at the unit (got to open my present early lol) and can see now the brackets will do the job! Never liked cages to be honest, I like the way its bolted to the car with the brackets! Means if some dickhead does break into the motor they won't get away with the HU as easily

Ok so i've hit another snag and it's a rather annoying. This is what the unit will look like in my dash:

post-27899-0-50008200-1324822725_thumb.jpg

Harwood, you said to me last year "the surround for the original factory head unit just fits around the pioneer so it fits nice and flush". I've just looked at a few pictures and i can see it looks good. Problem is, my stock head unit doesn't have a surround:

post-27899-0-29104100-1324822834_thumb.jpg

I'm assuming yours was a pre-facelift stereo, which was different as i've seen.

So i think i'm gonna have to source a pre-facelift stereo surround ASAP, cause i cant leave it like that, it looks awful!

I've yet to see a double din unit that will fit exactly right using the Toyota side infills. They either stick out too much or look sunken, I had to put a few washers on my retaining bolts just to shove out a few mm. Doesn't help that different manufacturers have different hieghts for buttons/knobs which means that preference changes dependign on model. As for the gap top and bottom, I used some of that self adhesive draft sealent tape just block the annoying view of the wires - even though the gap was small, it annoyed me lots :)

Can't resist a pic (even though its dark and you can't see the fitment :lol:)

DSC01203-1.jpg

Edited by defrag

I've used the Toyota/Sony surround that goes all the way around, but I've cut the bottom off as there's no room for it

Now i'm confused then. I assumed it was the pre-facelift models that had the sony head unit, that had a surround. But i see yours is an 04 plate. As can be seen in my picture above my head unit isn't a sony one, nor does it have a surround. So did they just randomly keep changing the stock head units around or what?..

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.