Head unit wiring issue. PLEASE HELP! (Before i smash up another pc)

Ok, here's the deal- i just went outside to fit my new pioneer head unit in my gen 7 and found that there are four wiring plugs going into the back of the standard head unit, two of which i do not know what are for. I've just spent two hours searching the crappy internet and have found nothing. What makes it more frustrating is the fact that i must have found this info before because i've actually tapped into one of the wires on one of these plugs to hook up the remote wire of my sub and amp.

Here are a couple of pics i've just taken pointing out where on the stock head unit these plugs go:

post-27899-0-83967300-1324737976_thumb.jpg

post-27899-0-79001900-1324737997_thumb.jpg

Could somebody please tell me what these wires are for and how the hell i'm supposed to incorporate them into my new head unit?

So far what i expected to be a 20 minute job (unplug one stereo, plug in the other) has taken about 3 hours, and now i'm going to get back out there to put it all back together before it gets dark. Didn't really wanna be putting the stock unit back in but looks like i have no choice.

Many thanks in advance guys,

Carl.

If it doesn't fit into the adapter that changes it to the ISO to fit your headunit, then you dont need it! I think I had a block left unplugged, it doesn't affect the working of the headunitIt might of worked as a sub remote before as all it might do is send power down the wire, which is simply how the sub remote worksYou have the wiring adapter to change the Toyota wiring to your headunit?

Edited by Chris CW

If it doesn't fit into the adapter that changes it to the ISO to fit your headunit, then you dont need it! I think I had a block left unplugged, it doesn't affect the working of the headunitIt might of worked as a sub remote before as all it might do is send power down the wire, which is simply how the sub remote worksYou have the wiring adapter to change the Toyota wiring to your headunit?

Yes,i bought the ISO adapter for £3.58 (halfrauds wanted £17!).

I've been thinking and if i remember rightly the wire i've spliced the sub remote into is a switched live wire, so it comes on with the ignition. This suggests to me that this wiring plug must been in use for something, but i just can't find out what. I'm certainly not going to leave stuff unplugged until i know what it is.

It is in fact the 3300BT i'm trying to install (I also had this for christmas). From what i've read it's an awesome unit, which does pretty much everything i could want it to do. Apparently the only difference between this and the 3200BT is that it has an "app mode" for I-pods and other I-stuff (which doesn't interest me in the slightest). And i suggest if you want one you'd better hurry up and get one because Pioneer aren't making any more and it's becoming difficult to get hold of- the first two places i bought it from refunded me and told me they have none, and wont be getting any more. I managed to get it last week for the cheapest price i've seen in the end (£260 delivered) from here:

http://www.carsoundsandsecurity.co.uk/search/

Although the price seems to have gone up by £50 since last week.

Edited by carlosbiggos

the extra plugs on the back of the standard head unit are for things like mini-disc and cd changer.

all you need to do is plug in the iso adapter.

the best cable to use for sub remote os on the iso adapter itself, is the remote arial one, i think its brown, also you will want to put the handbrake cable of the pioneer loom to earth rather than faffing about fixing it to your handbrake.

I have the 3200BT and it is a fantastic piece of kit, and as has been said, the only difference is app mode.

If anyone is interested in the 3300bt i can see what kind of deals i can do with my good friends who own a car electronics business.

Edited by Harwood

There is a guy on here he has one 3200 for sale but was posed late October for £222 posted. I've pm'd him hoping he still has it :D, I do really want a sat nav one but I'm guessing the Xtrons ones for about £300 are a load of crap, Don't really wanna pay £600+ for a descent one, just have to stick with my android sat nav I suppose, shame

There is a guy on here he has one 3200 for sale but was posed late October for £222 posted. I've pm'd him hoping he still has it :D, I do really want a sat nav one but I'm guessing the Xtrons ones for about £300 are a load of crap, Don't really wanna pay £600+ for a descent one, just have to stick with my android sat nav I suppose, shame

yeah i saw your post in that thread, i had been trying to help out showing the differences between the two models, but people seem to know better than myself, who actually owns the unit and has good friends who own a car electronics business.... :doh:

As i said in my audio guide, buy cheap, buy twice.

Edited by Harwood

yeah i saw your post in that thread, i had been trying to help out showing the differences between the two models, but people seem to know better than myself, who actually owns the unit and has good friends who own a car electronics business.... :doh:

As i said in my audio guide, buy cheap, buy twice.

I remember that thread. It was me who asked the difference. Someone was trying to say that the 3200 doesn't have bluetooth. Made me laugh that did.

I read through that guide earlier but it didn't help me unfortunately.

Reckon i'll end up buying the sat nav add on for this, could do with it dropping in price a bit first though.

I remember that thread. It was me who asked the difference. Someone was trying to say that the 3200 doesn't have bluetooth. Made me laugh that did.

I read through that guide earlier but it didn't help me unfortunately.

Reckon i'll end up buying the sat nav add on for this, could do with it dropping in price a bit first though.

A friend of mine had the 3200bt with the navi-box, and it was fantastic! I would love that add on for mine, but as i have a good tom tom i don't really see the need......yet. lol :D

Edited by Harwood

the extra plugs on the back of the standard head unit are for things like mini-disc and cd changer.

I'd like to know where the other ends of these wires are, if only out of curiosity.

the best cable to use for sub remote os on the iso adapter itself, is the remote arial one, i think its brown

The iso adapter i bought? Would that be one of the two blues ones labelled "power antenna". The rest are: speakers; chassis ground; battery/constant; illumination/dash light; ignition switched.

I'm not 100% certain but i think my sub's currently running of switched live.

you will want to put the handbrake cable of the pioneer loom to earth rather than faffing about fixing it to your handbrake.

I thought the handbrake cable was just so the stereo knew when you were moving. I was just going to leave it loose.

I'd like to know where the other ends of these wires are, if only out of curiosity.

if you don't have the add-ons, the wires wont be there at all...

The iso adapter i bought? Would that be one of the two blues ones labelled "power antenna". The rest are: speakers; chassis ground; battery/constant; illumination/dash light; ignition switched.

I'm not 100% certain but i think my sub's currently running of switched live.

power antenna is the one!

I thought the handbrake cable was just so the stereo knew when you were moving. I was just going to leave it loose.

its function is so that you can't play video's when your moving. However, it shouldn't really just be left loose.

If you put it to ground (i used one of the bolts which hold the brackets to the car) it will be best and not short out anywhere!

if you don't have the add-ons, the wires wont be there at all...

There are wires- one plug has a pink wire and a yellow wire coming out of it. The other has a bunch of wires. From what i noticed two are white with black stripes, and i can't remember the rest, apart from one is grey, which i think my sub is connected to. I just wish i knew where i got the info from when i wired in my sub. Surely some of these wires must go to the stock amp, which i didn't know existed until today.

Didn't realise the handbrake cable had to be grounded, so cheers for that. Good job i wasn't able to get the job done.

Optional? So they don't all have them.. is it a T-sport thing then? I thought it was necessary in some way and was worried about leaving it out of the circuit, but if it's an optional extra then i guess it's not essential...

I suppose i'm happy to get the job done then, perhaps first thing in the morning, shouldn't take more than half hour.

I still wanna know what told me to tap into these amp cables..

Edited by carlosbiggos

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.