GT4 or 190 Gen 7

GTsillycar

Ok so i have decded that as much as i love my gen 6 GT, i need more power so i have put her up in the classifieds.

Thing is i do about 12000 miles a year and realy do need my car to be reliable.

I don't run on a shoe string but i do have limited funds to maintain my car, most jobs i do myself.

I have to say i'm very attracted to the power of the GT4 and have read threads on costs.

my concern then is that i'm fussy and could'nt drive around in a car knowing it needs something doing.

Other option is the Gen 7 190, after attending the recent lakeside meet where every car other than mine was a 7, i have developed a greater admiration for the next generation!

Now i know some of you guys or girls have had both 6's and 7's.

I'm after your thoughts on my predicament :shrug:

Hi,

I have owned a gen 4 GT4 - Gen 6 SS-I, Gen7190 and now the Sports-M - I came to a Gen 7 190 from a 300hp Misti VR-4 Type S and decided that turbo'd 4wd cars are just too heavy on the fuel and expensive when they go wrong as well as much more to go wrong too. I found the trade off between power and fuel economy/running costs was just right and have stuck with the Gen 7's ever since. If you have deep pockets and dont mind shelling out for fuel then I would go for a St205 GT4 but if you want a reliable daily driver that is not too much to run then the 190 is a must! Hope that helps. :)

When I had a Gen6 and the 7 came out I absolutely hated it and then I saw a TRD kitted one and thought that looks sexy. In my eyes then the 7 was not a 'proper' celica as it was US designed and a bit less Japanese than its predecessors. :)

Edited by tabbaranx

As much of a fan and purest I am of the GT4 and after reading your thread there is only one answer to this and that is go for the 190, I’m sure you wont be disappointed. Dorris

Edited by Dorris

I agree that a gt4 is a bit heavy on fuel, but its no more expensive to maintain than any other car, used my GT4 as a daily driver for 6 years and it never let me down once. the Skoda diesel I run now has cost me more to repair and keep on the road in the past year than my GT4 ever did.

All I can say is that the way things are going, petrol prices ever on the up, buy a GT4 whilst you can because it wont be long before they are priced off the road.

I hear you there, the fuel costs don't really worry me to much as i drive like an old man :xmas_wink:

My concern is what extra there is to go wrong, rear diffs, transfer box, fig 8's, turbo, intercooler, etc.....

All these things cost big bucks and i can't drive a badly maintained car, my philosophy is if it aint quite right then fix it. :D

This being said i so so want a GT4 :bowdown::drool: and have done for years and they're so cheap right now. :unsure:

I hear you there, the fuel costs don't really worry me to much as i drive like an old man :xmas_wink:

My concern is what extra there is to go wrong, rear diffs, transfer box, fig 8's, turbo, intercooler, etc.....

All these things cost big bucks and i can't drive a badly maintained car, my philosophy is if it aint quite right then fix it. :D

This being said i so so want a GT4 :bowdown::drool: and have done for years and they're so cheap right now. :unsure:

There isnt that much extra to go wrong, rear diffs etc hardly ever go wrong unless you launch it from every set of lights, buy a well maintained car and dont worry about it...230,00 miles on mine and the running gear, engine are still as they came from the factory,

Do you have room to have a GT4 and a commuter car for the 12000 miles you do? I've always wanted a Supra and this year I got myself one with a V8 in it. I do 500 miles a week in my gen6 SS1 and it costs about £15 a day to get to work and back in fuel. It costs £30 to get the Supra to work and back each day! So if you have space, get the GT4 while you can and have it for weekends/days off and run the commuter car as your daily. It seems to me you'll feel unfulfilled if you go for the 190 and miss the GT4.

I've had allsorts including a gen 6 GT4 and a gen 7 190 (still have it).

My view on it is that

a: the GT4 is an amazing car, very quick, and gripped the road like it was on rails. People moved over when they saw it coming (it was kitted up). But its heavy, and even heavier on fuel.

b: the gen 190 is a good fast car, but very plasticky in comparison. Needs good tyres to grip the road. Much better on fuel

As much as I loved my GT4, the fuel costs were too heavy. Plus the GT4 had to be 'driven' quite hard to get the best out of it. The 190 you can drive like a normal car, but put your foot down and its quick. I don't have the same passion for the 190, but its a good fast car - faster than my everyday gen 5 anyway.

If money was no object - ie doing low miles, I'd say get a GT4, otherwise get a 190

Now that I own both a GT4 and 190, they are just two different cars to be compared directly, I loved driving the GT-Four, and as a drivers car, the GT-Four wins hands down, the combination of the power and the handling, however its not an easy car to drive every day, and espes on long journeys, where as the 190 has some power there when you want it, but can be driven on long journeys very comfortably.

Depending on what you want, if you want a car that is easy to live with everyday go for the 190, if you want a car that wont be doing many long journeys, go for the GT-Four

The GT4 will be reilable, no question on that. 12k a year is doable, but that will require at least one service a year. Fuel economy will depend on the roads you're driving - I took mine on a few runs to Portsmouth and it was getting 30mpg. Obviously that wasn't driving like I was on fire though :lol:

If you're even having to think about the cost of running one, then I'd say you're probably best to avoid. Or, do what I do and have an £800 diesel shed to commute in and keep the GT4 for weekends :lol:

In a perfect world i'd keep my current GT and buy a four for the weekends and meets :D

Unfortunatly i can't warrent the expence or owning 2 cars :cry:

I think i'm gonna let the classifieds decide, or fleebay, place offers on both and see what comes up,

Unless someone wants to px down to my GT :)

mate we are both going tho the same problem with the same car,i have driven a gen 7,however it was a 140 so im not sure how much better the 190 is,but when i drove that it felt a bit boring compared to the gen 6 i have to say,i had alot more fun in the 6,i wouldnt say theres gonna be a big power diffrence between a 190 and the gt gen 6,only good thing i can think is that its newer,but i think the 6 is better made if im honest,so id think about keeping what you got and doing it up even more as a option rather than going for a gen 7 cos i dont think your have as much fun

if money wasnt a problem and i didnt have to worry about the costs id say gt4 all day long,but way things are going and petrol only gonna go up if anything,and the price off everything else going up,you have to say the gen 7 is a good answer to these problems,they doesnt seem to be much other choice,unless you go for diffrent car

if money wasnt a problem and i didnt have to worry about the costs id say gt4 all day long,but way things are going and petrol only gonna go up if anything,and the price off everything else going up,you have to say the gen 7 is a good answer to these problems,they doesnt seem to be much other choice,unless you go for diffrent car

things go wrong with gen 7's too budy, read countless threads about broken lift bolts, seen a few 190 engines blow their arse out and the pre-face 140 is a different story, they just arent as reliable as a gen 6, even a gen 6 GT4 is a better choice over a 190 £ for £ real major things to go wrong are turbos well that i have seen, superstrut wearing doesn't count as that is just wear

what about vince noir who i brought my car off he had to do a engine swap :( i agree yes gt4 is better made by far,but remember there getting on a bit now,wish they wasnt but they are,its a 30 grand plus car so parts are gonna be expensive :( can live with the fig 8 maybe needing doing once,but what about clutch,quite a few on here ive read with gearbox issues,which is a nitemare job,charge coolers are about 600 quid,what im saying is if you go down the gt4 route,then you have to be ready for the fact that something big may go wrong at some point,and if like me i need a daliy driver and i do about 15k miles a year would it be a good idea? its quite a big risk

i agree with you 100% i just wish that they wasnt getting on abit now,cos thats the only thing really thats kinda stopping me,i guess there are some mint examples out there its just finding them

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.