Alloy wheel centre cap refurb

Ok, so first things first, my wheels are not great! I know it, you know it, several of you have pointed it out ;) , but I just don’t have the money to replace them at the mo. So it’s a case of make the best of what I got. Now they all have a small amount of pitting or bubbling to the surface but the worst part of each is the centre cap. One in particular was so bad I knew I had to try and do something with it or loose it altogether. So what follows is my attempt:

I would like to just stress that I have NO previous experience of doing this sort of thing and used only what I had in the garage already, i.e. this whole process has cost me £0.

Day 1. First the offending cap.

Corrodedhub.jpg

Remove the flakes with the wire brush then rub down the worst with hard sandpaper, then lighter sandpaper, then smooth off with the wire wool.

FirstRubdown.jpg

On rubbing down the central black dot I discovered the Toyota name underneath. Some muppet in the past had painted it out!?! :angry: Oh well, its too far gone to recover now, maybe I can get some new ones made up? Mook if your watching... :D

Discovery.jpg

Next mask up the dot and take the shine off the rest of the surface with the wire wool.

Rubdowndetail.jpg

3 thin coats of Metal Primer and leave over night.

3coatsMetalPrimer.jpg

Day 2. 2 thin coats of Metallic Silver.

2coatsMetallic.jpg

Paint the dot again with some Black Gloss, non-drip ;) And leave over night.

BlackGloss.jpg

Day 3. The finished item back on the wheel.

Finesh.jpg

Ok so its not a completely perfect match, just the merest hint of a shade lighter, but frankly you don’t notice it unless you’re looking for it. So for a free repair I’m well happy.

I should also mention that after spraying with the metallic I tried a coat of clear paint to a) seal the top coat and B) bring it down a shade to match the wheel. Unfortunately this did not work as it took all the shine off it completely and gave it the look of dull primer again! Nothing like a match, so re-sprayed with the metallic again, much better.

Now its your turn, what do you all think, how could I have done it better etc etc…

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.