Are we guilty of under valuing our Celicas.

Digitalman

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly believe the reason values of the gen 6 have plumeted everywhere not jsut on here is the fact there are thousands to choose from so people cant claim a high price unless its low millage or absolute perfect

these cars dont break so there are tons on the road at varrying prices meaning but people are usually tempted to go look at the lower prices ones

a gen 6 GT standard no matter how good it is, is worth no more than about £1600 tops

a beams again standard slightly more

modded or scruffy looking cars are ten a penny so would pay no more than £800 for a middle of the road car

yeah other cars out there hold their value better but they are rarer not that many FTO's left cause gearbox's blow up and people like FTO's

same thing thats happened to the celica is effecting the prelude a nice lude 2.2 vetec can be had for £500-£800 in perfect condition. and thats because they dont break either and loads to choose from :thumbs:

couldnt agree more

our kid tried to sell his red st202 last month , starting bid 500 quid and a reserve at a grand , the car looks 100% perfect in the pictures and almost as good in the flesh , good paint , zero rust , microscopic dents can be found if you look , its red so a great colour , reasonable miles running fantastic with a very recent mot , the result ? not a single bid , not even a punt

now this could be xmas coming , could be a general downturn , could be insurance but either way i just cant find a car of the same quality for the same money so its an oddity people were not ringing his doorbell off the friggin wall

so from this i recon theres a mixture of things and that the cars arnt commanding the same sort of money , this makes them even more of a bargain but a bit of a twat if you already own 1

i also notice the gen 5 is slightly sneeking up in value but only on good `uns , rotted sheds are still only good for scrap , the 15 seems to have gained a few quid , not loads but still a little more , perhaps a good investment ? cs is still VASTLY overpriced by a few , i recently had a proper laugh and someone asked a shade under 7 grand for 1,,, as if ! and theres also been one listed on here for silly money , ok its had a shed load of work which would make it worth a good 4 grand if you can find someone who wants it , it will be a strain but at 6 grand not a feckin chance , much as i love my celicas theres only so much id pay , when you look at what you can own for 6 grand then try to reflect this onto a gen 5 then its clear somethings off

so id say if you want 1 nows the time to buy and trust me im looking , i fancy either brendans car but not at £4500 , another cs but must be near the same condition as my last 1 , or a 205 making around the 300 bhp but without the suspension about to make my wallet explode or the clutch more than half dead , not easy to find

couldnt agree more

our kid tried to sell his red st202 last month , starting bid 500 quid and a reserve at a grand , the car looks 100% perfect in the pictures and almost as good in the flesh , good paint , zero rust , microscopic dents can be found if you look , its red so a great colour , reasonable miles running fantastic with a very recent mot , the result ? not a single bid , not even a punt

now this could be xmas coming , could be a general downturn , could be insurance but either way i just cant find a car of the same quality for the same money so its an oddity people were not ringing his doorbell off the friggin wall

so from this i recon theres a mixture of things and that the cars arnt commanding the same sort of money , this makes them even more of a bargain but a bit of a twat if you already own 1

i also notice the gen 5 is slightly sneeking up in value but only on good `uns , rotted sheds are still only good for scrap , the 15 seems to have gained a few quid , not loads but still a little more , perhaps a good investment ? cs is still VASTLY overpriced by a few , i recently had a proper laugh and someone asked a shade under 7 grand for 1,,, as if ! and theres also been one listed on here for silly money , ok its had a shed load of work which would make it worth a good 4 grand if you can find someone who wants it , it will be a strain but at 6 grand not a feckin chance , much as i love my celicas theres only so much id pay , when you look at what you can own for 6 grand then try to reflect this onto a gen 5 then its clear somethings off

so id say if you want 1 nows the time to buy and trust me im looking , i fancy either brendans car but not at £4500 , another cs but must be near the same condition as my last 1 , or a 205 making around the 300 bhp but without the suspension about to make my wallet explode or the clutch more than half dead , not easy to find

exactly :D

Think I'm gonna go for a Prelude next, Really want a Motegi one, vroooom!

Let's just face it, people. The Celica has a whole load of competition and a very small appeal to anyone other than an enthusiast. They're expensive to run (and don't give me any 7a-fe nonsense...they're shite on petrol too) and maintenance is expensive, while they're reliable, they still need stuff doing as we all know.

Just accept that Celicas aren't worth loads, like many of other brilliantly over engineered 90s cars aren't worth loads, and you can move on and just enjoy driving what you drive and then sell it when you get bored of the rattles/putting petrol in every other day/insurance/road tax/constant need to wrap things in carbon wrap till there's nothing left. Innit.

Let's just face it, people. The Celica has a whole load of competition and a very small appeal to anyone other than an enthusiast. They're expensive to run (and don't give me any 7a-fe nonsense...they're shite on petrol too) and maintenance is expensive, while they're reliable, they still need stuff doing as we all know.

Just accept that Celicas aren't worth loads, like many of other brilliantly over engineered 90s cars aren't worth loads, and you can move on and just enjoy driving what you drive and then sell it when you get bored of the rattles/putting petrol in every other day/insurance/road tax/constant need to wrap things in carbon wrap till there's nothing left. Innit.

the Lude is another one thats hit rock bottom, im looking at a 2.2 vtec just now for £695, years ticket few months tax and totalyl solid. im actually trying to talk the owner down to £400 cause they are worthless too these days

Square headlight version ftw. Is it a red top engine though? If it isn't, you're dead to me Brian, dead to me.

it is and not sure on engine yet,

dont like the shape of them mate older shape is much better. and faster i believe

its just for a daily runner as i might be getting shot of the van in the new year in favour of a smaller van :D

but yeah the older shape like what angus has is faster (but suffers from rust more as all hondas of the time did)

never had any prob with rust on mine was as clean as the celica. 2.2 vtec was nice tho think mine was about 230bhp great fun

ended up stripping it and taking it to crail. 13 on the 1/4 mile was well impressed.

Edited by mikca01

dont quite agree , sort of do

the mot is just a bit of interior , now a type s ...... now were cooking , not easy to find though

as for celicas , i wouldnt call them expensive to run whatsoever , id concider them cheap , my hiace kills 75 quids worth of dirty diesel in 266 miles , thats not a 1 off , thats every time , and thats me driving like grandma would be proud to get that although if you do wheelspin it everywhere then it makes no difference on the fuel , as for repairs id say there shit cheap , its so easy to get hold of stuff and always at the right price , price up a 205 dizzy cap then a vaux v6 dizzy cap and you will see what i mean

dont quite agree , sort of do

the mot is just a bit of interior , now a type s ...... now were cooking , not easy to find though

as for celicas , i wouldnt call them expensive to run whatsoever , id concider them cheap , my hiace kills 75 quids worth of dirty diesel in 266 miles , thats not a 1 off , thats every time , and thats me driving like grandma would be proud to get that although if you do wheelspin it everywhere then it makes no difference on the fuel , as for repairs id say there shit cheap , its so easy to get hold of stuff and always at the right price , price up a 205 dizzy cap then a vaux v6 dizzy cap and you will see what i mean

well yeah, a v6 is gonna cost more...because it's a v6.

unless you're onto the breakers on here and are mechanically capable, maintenance is expensive on them, simple as that.

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly believe the reason values of the gen 6 have plumeted everywhere not jsut on here is the fact there are thousands to choose from so people cant claim a high price unless its low millage or absolute perfect

these cars dont break so there are tons on the road at varrying prices meaning but people are usually tempted to go look at the lower prices ones

a gen 6 GT standard no matter how good it is, is worth no more than about £1600 tops

a beams again standard slightly more

modded or scruffy looking cars are ten a penny so would pay no more than £800 for a middle of the road car

yeah other cars out there hold their value better but they are rarer not that many FTO's left cause gearbox's blow up and people like FTO's

same thing thats happened to the celica is effecting the prelude a nice lude 2.2 vetec can be had for £500-£800 in perfect condition. and thats because they dont break either and loads to choose from :thumbs:

Yeah but FTO's are very cheap too, I got mine for a good price... although yes, the tiptronic gearbox did brake, and yes I did crash the car and scrap it 3 months after fitting a new one!

Hence, I think that any jap motors (inc celicas) ten years old or older are more or less worthless anless standard and in excellent condition (due to high running/repair costs and low appeal to most people who drive normal cars).

Iam just hoping my GT is worth circa £2500-£3000 in 2 years time when I plan to sell.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.