Working out screw size

Is there any easy way of working out what size screw I need for a certain hole? (The innuendo in that sentence! lol)

Reason is, mounting the headunit to the 7, now the brackets are attached securely to the head unit, however at the moment, the brackets are not screwed to the car :s so the unit is kinda loose. I dont have the screws needed to attach it however. Is there anyway of working out which size I need without trial and error? or does anyone know what size screws I need?

M6 = 6mm hole

M7 = 7mm hole etc...

does that answer your question?

have to say you are wrong on that one.

M6 will be 5mm hole size

M7 will be 6mm hole size

this is not a equal for all, as M10 is 8.5mm and M5 is 4.2mm. (all sizes are approx.)

M7 does equal a 7mm bolt diameter though.

just so people know. :D

have to say you are wrong on that one.

M6 will be 5mm hole size

M7 will be 6mm hole size

this is not a equal for all, as M10 is 8.5mm and M5 is 4.2mm. (all sizes are approx.)

M7 does equal a 7mm bolt diameter though.

just so people know. :D

Yep...Its all to do with major diameters and minor diameters. You also have to take into consideration the thread pitch as Toyota thread sizes arnt always a standard metric pitch. theres a mix of metric course & metric fine.

Major diameter on a bolt is the peak of the threads, the minor being the troughs....a bolt hole when drilling a hole to suit, needs to match the minor diameter or there would be nowhere for the thread to go.

For things like the under trays, there are some self tapping bolts used which from the dealers are quite expensive, I picked up a bag of 200 self tapping bolts the same as Toyota for about £5 from an auto jumble, the thread pitch on these isnt critical as they will cut there own thread, (They usually bolt into a plastic but they do need to be the right diameter so they have enough grip...too small and they will drop out, too big and they split the thing they are tapping in to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.