What size car battery do you use?

My car's battery simply can't cope with the sound system I have in the car. It was fine until the bloke who did my service last week didn't know how to turn the head unit off, so drained the car battery until it was flat. :rolleyes: Now it drains overnight and I have to jump start it nearly every morning. :(

I have a Pioneer 3300BT headunit that you can turn off, but can't remove.

What size battery would be able to cope with the sound system?

Thank you please! :P

None if you leave a head unit on that uses the power of a small town :lol: It sounds like to me that you just need to get some power back in to the battery providing the battery is in a fairy good condition. My advice is to run the car for half hour with everything switched off and that should put the life back into the battery. The other problem you might encounter with your sound system taking so much power is that it might cause running problems with the car, I’m sure a sound system expert will be along soon to advise what’s more appropriate. Dorris

Maybe get a capacitor as well to aid your system?

Especially if, like mine, when you run your sound system all lights flicker and dim as the bass kicks in B)

Going to invest in a capacitor soon which basically is a battery, runs the sound system off that battery and the car battery just charges it. Keeps lights from dimming and protects your battery.

Yeah i've got a couple of days off from tomorrow so i'll dig out my charger and do it overnight. :)

It was just because i've been at work everyday for 7 days, and I live 15 minutes away. So I'd jump the car, drive 15 minutes to work with the head unit off, then do a 12-13 hour shift, then the car would be dead again! Never had enough time to give it a good run.

How much do you think a capacitor would be?

How much do you think a capacitor would be?

Won’t make any difference to your problem, capacitors are only deigned to soften the voltage drop were there is a sudden increase in demand i.e. if you have a amp and sub when the base kicks in there will be a sudden drop in the voltage supply because the battery and alternator cant react that quickly a capacitor discharges when this happens to help the voltage remain stable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.