which one is faster 0-60

smoog83

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey peeps, don't forget that the car's in this imaginary race are stock so MR2 wheelspin would be minimal.

And its a 0-60 race, not a sprint.

FWD & AWD cars are much easier to race & can be taken into a corner with masses of confidence.

After your first couple of spins in a mid-engined car it can affect you confidence somewhat. :lol:

Partially why most of the time you see some knob-head twating about in his/her car (ususally somewhere highly appropriate) 9 times out of 10 it'll be FWD.

FWD cars are easier to drive as you have to respect their handling characteristice less - You could say they are more forgiving.

Sprinting is a much better test of a car's real-world ability I'll grant you, but in a straight line with stock power, the mr2 has it.

And yes, I've driven both (You really would be surprised at how quickly you can corner in a 2).

Just decided to get a GT4 as my daily driver cos of the boot.

That & the fact I've got a MK3 MR2 as well... :lol:

Edited by Adex

honestly i think ill get mr2 first before i jump into supra or 300zx as these two r mine "dream cars" because i only drove fwd cars so far .so i dnt want to kill myself as yet .i think mr2 will be gr8 practice :)

honestly i think ill get mr2 first before i jump into supra or 300zx as these two r mine "dream cars" because i only drove fwd cars so far .so i dnt want to kill myself as yet .i think mr2 will be gr8 practice :)

Two awesome choices sir! :thumbs:

My bro had a 300zx which was a top laugh, 300bhp usually is to be fair. Shame it was an auto... :gay:

I wouldn't be worried about RWD, you'll soon come to love handling nirvana & wonder how you ever coped without!

All you have to remember is no matter what car you're in, be it 100bhp or 1000bhp it'll only do what you tell it to!

If you're still a little concerned about getting used to RWD handling, get yourself booked in to a drift what ya brung (DWYB) day at Santa Pod.

Find your limits in a safe enviroment!

Best way of hooning the arse off a RWD car AND keeping you licence that I've found. :twisted:

Edited by Adex

I'd suggest that using a mid-engined RWD platform like the MR2 isn't the best way to prepare for a Supra. In fact the Supra (despite being a bit lardy) would be much less likely to bite your head off when you inevitably get it wrong. FR layout makes for much less of a gyroscopic effect when the back end lets go in comparisson to the MR layout MR2. There's a lot of momentum when the engine's perched over the slipping wheels!

Sounds like good advice with the DWYB day too. Safe and legal = win!

I'd suggest that using a mid-engined RWD platform like the MR2 isn't the best way to prepare for a Supra. In fact the Supra (despite being a bit lardy) would be much less likely to bite your head off when you inevitably get it wrong. FR layout makes for much less of a gyroscopic effect when the back end lets go in comparisson to the MR layout MR2. There's a lot of momentum when the engine's perched over the slipping wheels!

Sounds like good advice with the DWYB day too. Safe and legal = win!

Too true!

I used to work for a golf-club which had a massive car-park, so naturally I used to abuse that fact when no-one was about.

Doughnutting is strangly more satisfying on company property! :twisted::D

Even in a humble little MK3 mister 2, once the back starts moving, it comes round SCAAARY-quick.

As nthnmunky says, an FR layout is much more progressive.

I dread to think what would've happened if it'd had a proper engine! :lol: :lol:

-Mind you, I'm slowly acquiring the bits I want/need to do something about that, but its a bit hush-hush at the moment. :sofa:

I used to have avid from Japan which tested the ST205 vs MR2 vs Ford Cosworth vs Rx7 vs Supra all stock. The ST205 beat them all over 1/4 mile except the Supra which it easily beat off the line but the Supra just pipped it at the post. In all cases the ST205 was faster off the line due to 4WD and seemed to get through the first 4 gears very quicky pulling away. It was only in 5th against the Supra where it bogged down.

It's been removed from you tube for copyright infringement which is a shame.

acid test

anyone with a standard MR2 wants to race my faff 0-60

private road or santapod offcourse

that could be interesting :popcorn2:

I used to have avid from Japan which tested the ST205 vs MR2 vs Ford Cosworth vs Rx7 vs Supra all stock. The ST205 beat them all over 1/4 mile except the Supra which it easily beat off the line but the Supra just pipped it at the post. In all cases the ST205 was faster off the line due to 4WD and seemed to get through the first 4 gears very quicky pulling away. It was only in 5th against the Supra where it bogged down.

It's been removed from you tube for copyright infringement which is a shame.

thats what i thought .gt4 due to 4wd will be faster especially in corners .

on a track a gt4 is easier to drive and therefore can be driven pretty quickly by most people, an mr2 in the right hands would be quicker than a gt4 imho. its lighter, less transmission loss and better weight distribution.

i was at blyton park with the oc on saturday and there was a stock rev3 turbo barring an exhaust and r888's and it was quite a bit faster round the track then midly modded faff's. with an experianced driver the mr2 is devastatingly quick round a circuit.

on a track a gt4 is easier to drive and therefore can be driven pretty quickly by most people, an mr2 in the right hands would be quicker than a gt4 imho. its lighter, less transmission loss and better weight distribution.

i was at blyton park with the oc on saturday and there was a stock rev3 turbo barring an exhaust and r888's and it was quite a bit faster round the track then midly modded faff's. with an experianced driver the mr2 is devastatingly quick round a circuit.

Yeah but in those same hands the GT4 would sill be faster ;)

When i last drove mine in sept 09 at silverstone i had a great battle with a MR2 turbo - belonged to Jake from TSS so he is a decent driver

Both had R888's and coilovers and roughly same power - 300bhp - and there was nothing in it.

At higher horsepowers id say with less transmission losses the MR2 would be quicker - but as a few have said biggest factor is the driver

These videos shows a (lighter than an ST205 by miles) ST165, only just winning against a MR2.

Its not clear what revision the MR2 is, not the state of tune of either car.

The OP (still) isn't about being on track, although that has been mentioned.

A front engined civic is a strange car to compare to the gt4 as well, as the cars weight transfer issues put it a natural disadvantage.

The more voilently it accelerates, the worse the driven wheel grip is. The exact opposite of the more preferable front/awd & mid/rear wheel drives layouts.

To this end, of course you'll have to spend more cash on a drag (or any other high power) fwd car to make it competitive.

Aside from needing more power, extra money needs to be spent on chassis, gearbox & suspension mods in aid of getting better traction.

Looks like there's only going to be 1 way to get everyone to decide this.

Maybe youtube could do with a fresh crop of GT4-MR2 race videos... :D

This needs to be settled at Santa Pod in the near future!

Anyone fancy sorting out some tuning level catagories & challenging one of the MR2 forums/clubs? :twisted:

For a straight 0-60 I'm still toiling to see how a car that's over 100kg heavier and with extra transmission losses from the same engine is expected to accelerate better.

You can do a side by side comparison at http://www.torquestats.com/index.php?pid=comparison

Putting a "Toyota MR2 Turbo Mk2 Rev 3" against "Toyota Celica ST205 GT-4" I get 194bhp/ton for the MR2 and 186bhp/ton for the GT4, and listed 0-60 times of 5.7 and 5.9 seconds, 0-100 of 14.4 and 15.4.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.