which one is faster 0-60

smoog83

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't of thought there would be much to it, tbh.

Here's some 'official' numbers for the MR2:

A well-sorted MR2 Turbo is a seriously underrated giant killer. Although the horsepower figures are measured using 100RON Japanese fuels, the cars run very reliably on performance 97 and 98RON fuels in this country. With a top speed of 152mph and a 0-60 capability of 5.7 seconds, the Rev1 and Rev2 cars are quick enough to embarrass plenty of todays best roadsters.

and Parkers figures for the Celica:

0-60 mph 6.1 s

Power Output 239 bhp

Torque 223 lb-ft

Top Speed 152 mph

I think it would be close enough that the main deciding factor would be the ability (reaction time) of the driver.

The MR2 would have a natural advantage (even up against the AWD grip of a GT4), due to losing less power through its drivetrain.

A mid-engined car accelerating hard shifts the weight of it's engine to right where its needed - the driven wheels.

A rev 3+ MR2 is a match for a JDM GT4 in terms of power, so assuming all other factors are the same (same driver testing each car) & if the cars are completely standard, then a GT4s grip advantage would effectivly be cancelled out by having twice as many diffs/driveshafts to shift.

Thats before you even consider the extra weight a GT4 carries over the MR2.

It would undoubtedly be very very close, but I think the MR2 would win by a nose.

Little known fact - In Japan, when drag racing, MR2's are often moved from the RWD class into the AWD group due to this weight-transfer grip advantage over front-engined RWD cars.

Edited by Adex

There's a vid in japan on youtube where they did this and the mr2 is faster.

I have heard though that the mr2 turbo chassis isn't the best on track but that was a bit of hear say don't know how true it is but its a mid engined car so it is always going to be decent

i remain unconvinced

when you initially pull off then little point in reving the knackers off it to get going as the mr2 will loose all its speed in wheel spin , of course the gt4 wouldnt have this problem to such a degree and it would be possible to lay alot more power down in the take off that the 2 wheel drive would not recover , to me the only point a 2wd would have an advantage is a roll on at higher speeds where the weight would make a difference , theres is power lost through drive shaft lash and the torque wasted in turning these but the ability to dump 50 bhp on top would easily compensate for this , ill still say the gt4 has it

While not quite the car comparison you wanted, this shows that the MR2 doesn't seem to have a major problem putting down power when compared to an AWD Celica:

All-Trac: TD06L2 20G @ 13psi, FMI, 3" intake, stock ecu, stock fuel system.

MR2 Turbo: TD06SH 20G @ 14psi, apexi intake, JDM ECU.

As with all of these things there are just too many variables, things like weather conditions, what electronic gadgets such as TCS or launch control fitted? Driver ability? Rims (size and width) and tyres (tread, compound and width) fitted?

I reckon it'd be fairly close, the ST205 should ideally get off the line quicker but I think it'd be pretty close one way or the other.

Mind that the Celica is also about 200kg heavier (~1,250kg vs ~1,440kg).

http://www.mr2oc.net/videos/mr2_gt_vs_gt4.avi shows a 245ps MR2 against a 255ps GT4 - again not quite stock but fairly evenly matched power wise.

you can see the driver messed it up for the gt4 , he bogged down , problem is getting off the line with a gt4 , give it 5 grand and drop the clutch and you do funky little circles going nowhere slowly , not enough revs and your simply not on the power and waiting for the turbo to do something , the video is a great demonstration of this , the fella simply dropped off boost thanks to poor driving , oddly given spool up times i would have thought the gt4 would have been a couple of seconds slower rather than just half a second , it clearly must have gained some back out of camera shot , it also i recon shows what i said about weight , given the difference the mr2 would be faster in a roll on , i recon the gt4 would better the mr2 but not over half a mile as thats when the weight would show , out of shot the gt4 must have caught up to not be 2 seconds behind which would show that the gt4 given a proper start would beat the mr2

thanks for all comments hm i thought i fancy a change to mr2 but i guess there is no point really .still must be fun to drive coz of the rwd

pleasure

its all irrelevant really , out and out straight lines never exist in real life , the world is full of twisty stuff , you almost never have a sit of being at a halt and being able to give it death to 70 soooo the drive out of corners is where its at and 4wd makes a serious difference , the ability to lay the power down at high revs is something else on a gt4

id give the mr2 a test drive for sure , good cars , only thing that would get me is the lack of space as in there simply isnt any , not easy to do a weeks shopping with the mrs and if you already have junk on board your shagged

id give the mr2 a test drive for sure , good cars , only thing that would get me is the lack of space as in there simply isnt any , not easy to do a weeks shopping with the mrs and if you already have junk on board your shagged

Gonna disagree here, while the MR2 (Mk2 at least - I know the Mk3 is comically lacking in storage) certainly doesn't have the Celica's cavernous boot, it's still a decent and practical size - never had problems getting the weekly shopping in there, nor (eg) a Dyson in its box. You also have a bit of space under the bonnet for squashy bag type things...

Definitely worth a test drive, different to the Celica, both great cars in their own right.

Gonna disagree here, while the MR2 (Mk2 at least - I know the Mk3 is comically lacking in storage) certainly doesn't have the Celica's cavernous boot, it's still a decent and practical size - never had problems getting the weekly shopping in there, nor (eg) a Dyson in its box. You also have a bit of space under the bonnet for squashy bag type things...

Definitely worth a test drive, different to the Celica, both great cars in their own right.

My link

your clearly more orgainsed than i will ever be :D , me id suffer , i carry around junk all the time

That's what the little bins behind your seats are for :-)

(and I note that your picture is attached to a post saying "2 sets of golf clubs in the back of a Mk2... Superb boot. ")

Edited by Euan

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.