matching car paint

My car's definitely had a respray at some point. It's silver, but not Lucerne...

Is there any way to get someone to match the paint exactly how it is on the car? I know B&Q can do that kinda witchcraft for normal paint for walls etc...what about cars though?

Any help much appreciated

Phew.

Hard one, but...

Experienced paint suppliers and experienced painters can usually look at a colour and get it right.

What you need is someone that is trustworthy enough to suggest a colour.

Then you have to try that colour against the car.

Is it possible that someone somewhere has developed a scanner of some sort to determine an exact colour?

I haven't heard of such a device but it would make sense.

My car's definitely had a respray at some point. It's silver, but not Lucerne...

Is there any way to get someone to match the paint exactly how it is on the car? I know B&Q can do that kinda witchcraft for normal paint for walls etc...what about cars though?

Any help much appreciated

My workshop manager can match any colour - if you lived closer I'd say pop by but it is a bit far. A decent body shop will be able to help you.

Les

A good body shop can match any colour. They use a magical machine that analyses the colour, whether UV degraded or not, and indicates the paint mix.

If they haven't got the right gear then you decide.

It takes great skill to match paint, especially if metallic. Rmember each mix requires x quantity of this and y quantity of that, what happens if a little bit of x or y gets stuck in the rim of the tin, or proprotionally more x than y gets stuck or drips? Yes you get a very very slight variation. Not to mention the paint being matched has had a few years of sunlight, causing it to change, plus then theres the actual spraying technique. This is no issue with flat colours, but on metallics is critical to getting a match. Unless the pain is sprayed in the exact same manner as the original then the 'grain' of the paint (the mica flecks) will not match the same pattern for density or direction and will make the paint look different, regardless of whether the colour is spot on.

On a dull day in the rain you'd never know my car is 3 different shades, but in certain angles of sun it's glaringly obvious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.