Beam's 3SGE

I'm after a mid 90's MR2 just as a little run around.

I was wondering if anyone with a 6 gen celica might be able to help me out here as I have no idea about S engines.

I dont fancy a turbo one as I've never really liked turbo cars. But dont mind a N/A 3sGE. Would anyone be able to tell me the difference between a standard 3sGE and the BEAMS Redtop 3sGE and, if it's possible to upgrade a normal 3sGE up to a BEAMS? As the extra 30-40 HP would do a world of good, cheers!

The Beams is 200hp at the fly as standard due to vvti, to get a standard 3sge up to that...you'd probably be talking a lotta money, so might be worth buying a cheap mr2 with a shagged engine and then buying a beams engine off ebay for about £800...they don't usually come with ancilliaries though.

As mentioned above, best way is to do an engine swap. Finding Red Top Beams engines can be difficult though. Beams is a very good solid engine with decent power for an N/A engine.

If cost is an issue, a 3SGTE lump from a GT4 is a cheaper alternative with more power.

the difference between the 2 engines is rather alot , the beams is in effect a turbo engine with no turbo and a different top end , this means if nothing else its strong , it has a single vvt-i top end

theres not 40 brake difference , theres 20 , thanks to fuel differences in japan meaning that really the beams has about 191-192 bhp at the fly and a 3s-ge has 171 although people will tell you it has ohhh 171-174-179 depending if they own one or not B) , im being honest here , people can argue the figures but this is how i see them

the 20 bhp difference doesnt sound much but in real life it shows massively , the beams feels a completely different animal , its vibratory , its sharp , it pulls harder and if you go over 5,500 you cant hear the stereo , it also does a little more to the gallon and makes a celica feel much more like a sports car , you drive it more aggressively as the car wills you on , given the other toys it makes the ss-111 very very nice to own and drive , dont get me wrong at times you still crave a bit more power but then if you had 500 bhp at times you would want 600 , on the road the powers interesting , i like the fact that at 100-120 theres not alot of difference between this and the gt4 when you already have the engine spun up , the turbo will eat it on all other accounts but believe me when i say if it was a local blast that turbos going to be giving it 90% to stay with a well driven beams , we also dont have to live with 10 mpg when playing at silly bastards and we also dont have to worry about it turning to shit if we stop and knock the engine off without it being run for 30 seconds at the petrol station :rolleyes:

its also argueable that the beams is easier to tune and responds better to tuning than a 3s-ge , theres a host of select items available to the must go faster people in japan from cams to funky manifolds and vrs ecus , its also nice to know the bottom ends good for 400-500 bhp in standard form so try killing that then ! and the top end 300 bhp :D

as for the mr2 best bets to find 1 already done as its not easy to source all the bits needed for the swop , the beams has a vvt-i top end and this is run through the ecu , not easy to get hold of , you can find an engine for £875 if you know where to look but it is a waste of time without the ecu

Best go for one thats had a swap done in my opinion.

They only made 1000 beams mr2s, so there are way more beams lumps from ss3's.

I remember reading on mr2.com that they have more beams mr2 owning menbers with celica engines than those owning 'proper' beams mr2s.

take off a few owing to crashes etc & you've suddenly got less than 1000 worldwide.

They're always going to be more desirable.

Aside from the ecu, the alternator & engine mounts very rarely come up for sale.

Definatly find one that someone else has done the leg work on.

Poor old Veilside! But aye, obviously the new owner feels the same way - as he remarked, "First job is to get rid of that kit, luckily the fella selling it has the original bumpers. So she'll be going in for them to be fitted and resprayed".

Border kits look much nicer on 2's than veilsides.

Also, you'll struggle to fuck to find a cheap beams mr2...as they only started making them with the rev5 which means they command dickhead money...£5k+ in fact.

If you find one that's had a conversion done, make sure it's done well...wouldn't wanna hazzard a guess at the cost of sorting something like that out if it was done by some mong

the difference between the 2 engines is rather alot , the beams is in effect a turbo engine with no turbo and a different top end , this means if nothing else its strong , it has a single vvt-i top end

theres not 40 brake difference , theres 20 , thanks to fuel differences in japan meaning that really the beams has about 191-192 bhp at the fly and a 3s-ge has 171 although people will tell you it has ohhh 171-174-179 depending if they own one or not B) , im being honest here , people can argue the figures but this is how i see them

the 20 bhp difference doesnt sound much but in real life it shows massively , the beams feels a completely different animal , its vibratory , its sharp , it pulls harder and if you go over 5,500 you cant hear the stereo , it also does a little more to the gallon and makes a celica feel much more like a sports car , you drive it more aggressively as the car wills you on , given the other toys it makes the ss-111 very very nice to own and drive , dont get me wrong at times you still crave a bit more power but then if you had 500 bhp at times you would want 600 , on the road the powers interesting , i like the fact that at 100-120 theres not alot of difference between this and the gt4 when you already have the engine spun up , the turbo will eat it on all other accounts but believe me when i say if it was a local blast that turbos going to be giving it 90% to stay with a well driven beams , we also dont have to live with 10 mpg when playing at silly bastards and we also dont have to worry about it turning to shit if we stop and knock the engine off without it being run for 30 seconds at the petrol station :rolleyes:

its also argueable that the beams is easier to tune and responds better to tuning than a 3s-ge , theres a host of select items available to the must go faster people in japan from cams to funky manifolds and vrs ecus , its also nice to know the bottom ends good for 400-500 bhp in standard form so try killing that then ! and the top end 300 bhp :D

as for the mr2 best bets to find 1 already done as its not easy to source all the bits needed for the swop , the beams has a vvt-i top end and this is run through the ecu , not easy to get hold of , you can find an engine for £875 if you know where to look but it is a waste of time without the ecu

Well bloody said. :thumbs:

Rogue are the shit, so that'll be a top notch job. Good price for the car too...Wish I had the money!

Might be worth keeping an eye out on driftworks as well, as a lotta the guys over there go for beams for lightweight n/a projects and sometimes sell up the engine and looms etc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.