hid kitssssss

i emailed Sky about this a while ago and got this reply

Ello ello!

Quick question:

Would i be able to add HIDs to my list of modifications?

As i understand it, HIDs are technically not legally allowed on any car that does not have them factory fitted... so seeing as the Celica doesn't have them factory fitted, would you even be able to add them as a listed modification?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

we have a few customers who have them fitted, you could view them the same as de-cats.

Thanks

Ollie

Sky Insurance

Umm... so not overly helpful, but i guess as long as you tell them that you have them...

Are they not just side lights in the fog lights though, like the New Minis, they light up all the time but are only as bright as side lights

Just did a quick Google and they are classed as "driving lights" - so dodging the fog-light bullet but they still look like fogs albeit not quite as bright (but certainly noticeable in daylight!) haha.

SKY didn't say "yes" but they didn't say "no" either. Confusing.

Basically they said it's okay as long as you correct it for MOT time? (as people whack their cat back on for testing them remove it after).

However, if the insurance company are aware of the HID kit modification (and its on your files as installed) then I reckon it would have to stand up in court as it's the insurers responsibility to tell you if they do or do not cover certain items - if HIDs were bad news to them they wouldn't insure it to the fact they're illegal and they should say that to you when you attempt to declare them? :shrug:

It's a funny one alright lol. Yes they're illegal but we are okay to get the mod insured??

As mentioned before I'm going back to Osram's when I get my T-Sport to be ready for the new 2012 HID law.

That's my 2 pence boys and girls :)

Edited by dr3bin

Just did a quick Google and they are classed as "driving lights" - so dodging the fog-light bullet but they still look like fogs albeit not quite as bright (but certainly noticeable in daylight!) haha.

They also call it DRL- Day Running Light and usually applicable only In Canada and Iceland which is foggy most of the time compare to other EU countries. This DRL has been discuss as well and they also want to get rid of it as they says it also affects the vision of Motorist...

I was once confronted by Police when I left my fog lamps on while I was about to park, It was the first Time I put it on just to know If it was working and I was so lucky that a police car passed right that very moment. He stop and turn into the street where I was park because I need to open the gate. He told me that I shouldn't put the fog lamp and i could get a fine for that. I said sorry officer, my mistake then I put it off. He then let me go and that was it...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.