machine polish place

Hey all I need to find a place in kent-london-essex- that's good at detailing my cars lookin really really bad and needs some help lol if any one knows or recommends one please let me know. Many thanks lee

There's loads of detailers on here mate, they all do an absolutely cracking job for good money, give them a call!

Or if you fancy a go yourself....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-POLISHER-BUFFER-SOFT-START-6-SPEED-BODY-SHOP-/270389557911?_trksid=p4340.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1019091290173935295

The rotary is good, the stuff that comes with it isn't. Get some decent pads and polish ie menzerna and off you go. Takes a while to get used to it, look at the rotary polishing guide on detailing world. i've had that rotary for years now and it's never missed a beat. I do all the cars at work too so it's not like it hardly gets used :)

Edited by joe588

Using a rotrary isn't for the faint hearted tho and can in inexperienced hands lead to paint burns.

But you could get an orbital dual action polisher that is prolly better suited for a novice.

I have a Kestrel DAS6, and found it easy to use being a beginner myself.

Also worth practising on other cars or a faded panel from a scrappys before having a go on your pride and joy

Using a rotrary isn't for the faint hearted tho and can in inexperienced hands lead to paint burns.

But you could get an orbital dual action polisher that is prolly better suited for a novice.

I have a Kestrel DAS6, and found it easy to use being a beginner myself.

Also worth practising on other cars or a faded panel from a scrappys before having a go on your pride and joy

I'm sure that was a rumour started by the DA companies haha. As long as you wet the pad there's pretty much no chance you'll burn it. start off on 800 rpm, smooth lines like you're spraying paint and move up to 1500. feel the paint as you go and you won't burn it. I tried to burn an old panel, took a fair bit of heat and pressure to mark it.

Hey chaps

- still going but up in north yorkshire so bit far for me this one i'm afraid

Cheers

Mike

Mike didnt you do a scheme last year where you got a cetain amount of members together ... one being the donar car, for to teach detailing techniques I forget the details just about room for X number of cars access to water (& cover maybe ) are you still doing that this year I know petrol has increased now so may not be viable anymore !

btw ..any ideas what sort of Company apart from detailers may polish a car, with one of these rotary gadgets,

Did you ever do this at any of the weekend meets like RS eg in the club marquee ? :think:

Edited by cait

On the topic of machine polishers, would you be able to use that eBay one linked above to polish up the rocker cover and inlet manifold on a 190's engine?

Obviously you'd have to change the head from a soft polisher to a sander or something to start with.

Just wondering, could be a good investment for me (as I do love the look of silver shineys under the bonnet!)

Edited by dr3bin

Simple answer is no, the shapes are too awkward, the runners are round and there are lots of little nooks and crannys on the rocker cover, some could be tackled with a small detail sander but there's no avoiding getting sore fingers and a bit of manual polishing TBH...

FWIW I bought a detail sander for that very job but quickly realised that it would be a better job if I just did it all by hand and quickly scrapped the idea and just got stuck in! B)

Lol fair enough. I've seen some websites which show you how to polish stuff like that and it takes aaaages! A few days at least. But it looks the nuts after so is definitely worth it.

After sanding and polishing it all up, do you just touch up with a quick wash and polish every other week or so after like you would your car's exterior?

Yeah I suspect that mine took in excess of 10hours in total to do the runners and rocker cover but it needs to be polished regularly with autosol to keep it looking shiny as it gets a bit weathered because of the scoop so needs to be kept on top of!

Looks B) but is a PITA to keep looking nice.

Sorry, back on topic...

I had a friend who gave my car a going over with a Porter Cable DA polisher and a variety of polishes and compounds a couple of years back and even though neither of us are by any stretch of the imagination 'detailers' we did manage to get fantastic results. FWIW I would say to get a decent polisher, some decent compounds, polishes and stuff and give it a bash. It may take some practice to get as good a finish as some of the pros but it would be worthwhile and you can repeat it as often as needed yourself once you have the hang of it :)

Link to old thread > Filthy to Shiny in 4hrs

I've contemplated for a while that I might buy a few random orbital polishers and one or two dual action ones and rent them out over weekends for something like £15. Reckon there'd be much interest off here? Would save spending £150+ on something like a Kestrel and then having it sat in a shed for 6 months of the year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.