well my car can just p*$s right off! (its going now)

kar1

i've had it now. the car is clearly a rouge and determined not to be fixed....

just spent 2 hours at the garage...

run out test on hubs = fine

VT test on the discs = fine

pistons in calipers = fine

new braided hoses on front = obviously fine

fluid flow from master cylinder to and from. not tested, but pistons in calipers were pushed back to remove an preasure, and still had problems on way home. so its deabting the fact if there is a return issue with the fluid... potentially showing problems with blocked pipes or valves..

so. do i either spend a grand or so completely replacing the whole braking system and front end (hubs, shafts, gear box, bearing and anything else that spins), or buy another and risk other problems and transfer my trick bits over.

Edited by kar1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vibrations in the pedal and wheel.

every time i've changed the discs the car has been fine for the first 400-500 miles or so. then the symptons slowly start coming back. but with the tests today showing the discs and hubs to be running true, it completely throws a spanner in the works.

yep and yep.

we've literally check and tested everything bar blowing out the whole system and master cylinder. the only fault the abs is showing is the F/O/S wheel sensor, but the abs only removes preasure anyway. so even with faulty abs, all that will do is cause the car to skid.

whatever the problem is... its got to be brake related somewhere down the line. as normal driving it spot on. that is untill the symptons start and in which case start to get high speed vibs, (about 70mph) but only when the prob is there. with new discs on its fine.

warping is surely an impossiblity in reality. and only realy happens on race cars under extream temperatures. anywhere you look on the net about disc warping. this is said.

the discs where checked for VT so rules that out.. i really dont know anymore!

i'd break mine, but only problem is i need a car constantly. and then there's the matter of keeping it somewhere. plus if i want another celica, then i'd want to swap my bits over, so wouldn't leave much left to sell

I had a simular problem on my '96 1.8ST for a bout 3 years. Went through 3 sets of discs a year, kept giving the feel of warping. No one could find the fault and were at a loss. Eventually found the fault. It was a caliper cradle. The caliper itself worked fine, but the play on the cradle (with age) was producing excessive heat. Replaced it and had no problems.

think i'm gonna start saving for a replacement... got to the point where i really dont want to spend anymore trying to fix it. unless i know for deffinate it will fix the problem

I actually had something similar on my old Rover 827, brakes juddering really badly through the pedal. Turned out that it was the ABS firing, and the cause was an ABS sensor mount had corroded on one of the front wheels and was forcing the sensor away from the ABS sensor cog on the wheel so the system thought the wheel was locking up, hence the system firing and subsequent judder.

A trip to the breakers for a new sensor and all was good.

As for warpage on road use.... I used to get that, again in the 827, with standard discs as it was a heavy old tub, and if you left the breaking a bit too late they got very hot and warped badly. Went through three sets of front discs on that car during the few years I had it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.